Skip links and keyboard navigation


For the latest information on national parks and forests' closures stay up to date with Park Alerts

Vehicle access permit changes on Minjerribah (North Stradbroke Island)

From 1 November 2019

What are the changes to vehicle access permits for the Minjerribah Recreation Area on Minjerribah (North Stradbroke Island)?

From 1 November 2019 new vehicle access permit fees will apply to visitors wishing to drive on Main Beach and Flinders Beach within the Minjerribah Recreation Area on Minjerribah (North Stradbroke Island). A new monthly vehicle access permit will be available at a cost of $52.75. The annual vehicle access permit fee will be $158.00. These fees apply per vehicle regardless of the number of passengers.

Why have the fees changed?

The fees were changed to improve consistency with vehicle access permit fees for other recreation areas in south east Queensland such as Bribie and Moreton Islands, and to support ongoing management of the Minjerribah Recreation Area by the Quandamooka First Nation People.

What are the fees for other Recreation Areas?

The vehicle access permit fee for the Moreton Island Recreation Area for one month is $52.75, and $265.30 for a year. For the Bribie Island Recreation Area, it is $50.60 for one week, and $158.00 for a year.

How is the money generated from vehicle access permits used?

Vehicle access permit fees are charged to assist with the cost of management and use of the Minjerribah Recreation Area. Use of the funds to support management of the recreation area is a requirement of the Recreation Areas Management Act 2006, and includes, for example, provision and maintenance of camping areas and visitor facilities, and the administration of permits.

How will the vehicle access permit changes affect me?

There is no change to the existing requirement that a person requires a vehicle access permit to use their vehicle in the Minjerribah Recreation Area. However, visitors now have the choice of buying a monthly or annual permit.

Camping and vehicle access permits for the Minjerribah Recreation Area can continue to be obtained from Minjerribah Camping by phoning (07) 3409 9668 or visiting the Minjerribah Camping website.

Who manages the Minjerribah Recreation Area?

The Quandamooka Yoolooburrabee Aboriginal Corporation (QYAC), through Minjerribah Camping Pty Ltd, manage the Minjerribah Recreation Area. This includes managing camping areas, day-use areas, and issuing permits. The Quandamooka People are the traditional owners of Minjerribah.

The Department of Environment and Science has a service level agreement with QYAC supporting their management of the Minjerribah Recreation Area.

Last updated
9 October 2019