Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Vehicle access permits
All vehicles must be registered and have a valid permit. You must clearly display the details of your permit on your vehicle for inspection by authorised officers.
Ensure you obtain your permit before entering a recreation area.
- Book online using the Queensland National Parks Booking Service
- Book over-the-counter
- Book at self-service kiosks
- If you cannot book through one of these channels, phone 13 QGOV (13 74 68). Mobile phone charges may apply.
Vehicle access permit fees
Moreton Island Recreation Area
- 1 month or less = $51.60
- more than 1 month (up to 1 year) = $259.50
Bribie Island Recreation Area
- 1 week or less = $49.50
- more than 1 week (up to 1 year) = $154.60
Minjerribah Recreation Area
- 1 month or less = $52.75
- more than 1 month (up to 1 year) = $158.00
Changes to Minjerribah permits were effective from 1 November 2019.
Cooloola Recreation Area
1 calendar day
obtained via the internet = $12.95
not obtained via the internet = $19.50
1 week or less = $32.80
1 month or less = $51.60
more than 1 month (up to 1 year) = $259.50
K'gari (Fraser Island) Recreation Area
1 month or less = $51.60
More than 1 month (up to 1 year) = $259.50
K'gari (Fraser Island) and Cooloola Recreation Area
Note: Visitors may purchase a combined permit for K'gari (Fraser Island) and Cooloola. A 20% discount applies.
1 month or less = $82.80
More than 1 month (up to 1 year) = $415.40
Replacement or permit detail change
For all recreation areas except Minjerribah, you can request replacement of a lost or destroyed vehicle access permit, or change the name, address or vehicle stated in the permit by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send the following documents with your email:
- a copy of the renewal advices of the vehicle to which the permit currently applies
- a copy of the renewal advices of the vehicle to which the permit is now to apply
- details of new address where applicable.
For Minjerribah Recreation Area, contact:
PO Box 160
Dunwich QLD 4183
For enquiries please call (07) 3409 9668.
Exemption from vehicle access permit fees
Residents, landholders, visiting close relatives of residents, educational groups and workers who need to travel through the recreation area may qualify for a fee exemption.
Vehicle access permits are not required for:
- emergency vehicles
- Commonwealth, State and local government vehicles (when used for official purposes)
- vehicles authorised under a commercial activity permit or agreement
- Inskip Peninsula or Green Island recreation areas.
Applicants must meet eligibility criteria. Refer to the Fee exemptions for vehicle access permits on QPWS managed recreation areas operational policy for information on eligibility criteria requirements.
Cooloola Recreation Area—Rainbow Beach Residents
Residents of Rainbow Beach may apply for a permit fee exemption for Cooloola Recreation Area (CRA) to enable them to travel through the CRA to businesses and services in Tewantin. This fee exemption applies because Rainbow Beach is the only situation where residents can obtain a reasonable time advantage by travelling to a major shopping and business centre through the recreation area, instead of using an alternative route.
Only Rainbow Beach residents are eligible to apply. Applications for a vehicle access permit fee exemption must be supported by documentary evidence of the applicant’s principal place of residence and vehicle registration. Fee exemptions are not automatically renewed so residents must apply for a fee exemption each year if they hold an annual permit.
Read more frequently asked questions about vehicle permit fee exemptions for Rainbow Beach residents.
How to apply for an exemption
You can apply for a vehicle permit exemption in the following ways:
- by emailing your request to email@example.com
- at a Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) over-the-counter booking office (only QPWS offices can issue an exemption)
For Minjerribah recreation area, you can apply online or phone (07) 3409 9668.