Visiting Venman Bushland safely
Venman Bushland National Park is 40km south of Brisbane city on West Mount Cotton Road. From the Pacific Motorway, take exit 30 and turn onto Beenleigh–Redland Bay Road, then left onto California Creek Road and left onto West Mount Cotton Road. The main entrance to the park is signposted.
Walkers are also able to access the park through a number of gates around the boundary of the park.
The toilets and a picnic table are wheelchair accessible. Disabled parking is provided.
- Bring enough water for your visit. All water collected should be treated before drinking.
- Take care when using barbecues. Only use clean, milled firewood within the barbecue facilities and put the fire out with water. Supervise children to avoid burn injuries. Observe fire bans and prohibitions.
- Stay on the trails and observe signs to avoid getting lost.
- Carry water, food, a first-aid kit, mobile phone and a map when walking, especially on longer walks.
- Always let a responsible person know where you are going and when you expect to return.
- Wear a hat and sunscreen and avoid walking in the middle of the day.
- If you see a snake, leave it alone and keep clear.
- Keep away from creek banks; they may collapse under foot.
- Be aware that trails can be slippery, especially after rain.
- Obey signs and regulations—they are in place to protect you and the park.
- Reduce theft by removing valuables from your vehicle and taking them with you.
For more information, please read the guidelines on safety in parks and forests.
Essentials to bring
- Protective clothing, a hat, sunscreen and insect repellent, for protection from the sun and biting insects.
- Drinking water, especially in summer. Tap water should be boiled or treated with sterilisation tablets before drinking. Do not drink the creek water.
- Rubbish bags to take rubbish home—no bins are provided.
- Sturdy shoes for walking.
- Binoculars to help spot koalas and other wildlife.
Permits and fees
A special permit is not required for recreational activities in Venman Bushland National Park unless they are organised events or large scale competitive events. If an activity or visit to a protected area includes commercial photography or filming—that is, to sell photographs or film footage taken on a protected area or use photographs or footage in a product which will later be sold, such as a book or postcard—a permit must be obtained and a fee paid.
Domestic animals are not permitted in Venman Bushland National Park.
Climate and weather
Brisbane enjoys a mild, subtropical climate. The average daily temperature range is 22 to 30°C in summer and 12 to 22°C in winter. For more information see the tourism information links. Weather forecasts are available from the Bureau of Meteorology.
Fuel and supplies
Fuel and supplies are available at Loganholme and other nearby suburbs of Brisbane.
- Venman circuit walking track temporary closure due to roadworks 21 June to 5 July 2022