Visiting Koombooloomba safely
From Ravenshoe travel south on Tully Falls Road. This sealed and unsealed road travels through Tully Falls National Park before reaching the boundary of Koombooloomba National Park 20km from Ravenshoe. This main road and the many internal roads are narrow, have sharp corners and are rough and potholed. Take extreme caution and be aware of oncoming traffic.
The roads to the dam are accessible by conventional vehicles with high clearance although four-wheel-drive vehicles are recommended. Nitchaga Creek and Wall Creek roads are accessible by four-wheel-drive vehicles only.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities in Koombooloomba National Park. The camping area in Koombooloomba Conservation Park has a wheelchair-accessible toilet.
- After leaving Ravenshoe, mobile phone coverage is not reliable.
- Tell friends or family where you are going and when you expect to return.
- Treat all water before drinking.
- Expect to share roads with pedestrians, motorbikes, bicycles, walkers and other vehicles.
- When driving watch out for washouts, scoured road shoulders, potholes and loose surfaces. Be especially careful in wet weather when some roads and creek crossings may become impassable.
- Be aware of wildlife, especially in the early morning and late afternoon.
For more information, please read the guidelines on safety in parks and forests.
Essentials to bring
- sunscreen, a hat and a long-sleeved shirt
- a trowel and biodegradable toilet paper if bush camping
- drinking water.
Koombooloomba National Park and Conservation Park are open 24hours a day. Parts of the park are occasionally closed for seasonal, planned burns.
Permits and fees
All domestic animals are prohibited in Koombooloomba National Park and Conservation Park.
Climate and weather
The lower humidity and daytime temperatures of the tablelands are a pleasant escape from the coastal extremes. Maximum summer temperatures are around 30°C while winter temperatures can fall below 10°C at night, when frosts are not uncommon. Most of the rain falls during the wet season, between December and April. For more information see the tourism information links.
Fuel and supplies
Fuel and supplies are available from Ravenshoe, Atherton and other tablelands towns. For more information see the tourism information links.