Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Salvator Rosa scenic drive
Revel in the chance to see some of the park's most outstanding natural and historical features along this scenic 4WD adventure.
- Journey type
- 19.2km return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 1 day driving time.
- View map
- Lookout (constructed)
- Scenic drive
Discover sandstone formations, fresh water springs and spring wildflowers on a day's 4WD adventuring through this stunning landscape. Grab your camera and stretch your legs to see the 10m-wide hole below the summit of Spyglass Peak. Climb Homoranthus Hill and be spellbound by the panoramic views from the summit. Follow the Yard Site walk to see scattered relics of days gone by.
When it’s time for a break, relax with a creek side picnic at the Louise Creek Junction day-use area.
Getting there and getting around
Salvator Rosa scenic drive is in the Salvator Rosa section of Carnarvon National Park in central Queensland's Sandstone Wilderness, between Tambo and Springsure and is accessible by 4WD only.
- The Salvator Rosa scenic drive starts at the Nogoa River camping area, 2.4km from the park entrance.
To reach Salvator Rosa from Springsure, drive 168km west along the Dawson Developmental Road to the Salvator Rosa turn-off and drive south 50km via Cungelella to the park entrance.
From Tambo, there are two routes into the park:
- Head north on the Dawson Developmental Road for 42km. Turn right to head east and stay on the Dawson Developmental Road for a further 89km. Turn right onto Cungelella Road for 24km then veer left to continue on Cungelella Road for a further 14km. Turn right at Salvator Rosa Road and travel approximately 16km to the park entrance.
- The second route is for high-clearance 4WDs only. Head south on the Landsborough Highway for 8km, then turn left onto Mt Playfair Road (Wilderness Way) and drive 33km.Turn left to stay on Mt Playfair Road for another 63km. Turn right onto Cungelella Road and drive 14km, then turn right at Salvator Rosa Road and travel 16km to the park entrance. Please note, the majority of the road names are not signposted at the intersections.
Warning: travel can be unexpectedly slow on these unsealed roads. Be aware of bull dust, sand and changing conditions—roads can become impassable after rain. Please respect the rights of property owners and leave all gates as you find them.
- Read 4WD with care for important information on 4WD safety and minimal impact driving.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Salvator Rosa scenic drive is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.