Homoranthus Hill walk
This short but steep uphill walk to a lookout rewards you with endless views of the colour-splashed landscape and brilliant photo opportunities.
- Journey type
- 300m return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 20min walking time.
- Grade 4 walking track
- Lookout (natural)
Walk through bloodwood forests scattered with the track’s namesake—Homoranthus zeteticorum. In spring, this vulnerable shrub dots the countryside with dainty pink blooms, attracting birds and other wildlife to the area. Pink flowers contrast with the large white flannel flowers and cream sprays of narrow-leaved logania, adding splashes of colour to the landscape.
Climb the rock-carved steps up the hill to the lookout, and be spellbound by the 360-degree views of the bluffs, spires and other spectacular rock formations. See if you can find Belinda Springs far below, where cool, clear water is sheltered by clumps of ferns—a contrast to the surrounding dry, sandy countryside.
Getting there and getting around
Homoranthus Hill walk is in the Salvator Rosa section of Carnarvon National Park in central Queensland's Sandstone Wilderness, between Tambo and Springsure, and is accessible by 4WD only.
- The Homoranthus Hill walk starts from a small car park along the Salvator Rosa scenic drive, 6.2km from the park entrance.
- To reach Salvator Rosa from Springsure, drive 168km west along the Dawson Developmental Road to the Salvator Rosa turn-off and drive south 50km via Cungelella to the park entrance.
- From Tambo, there are two routes into the park:
- Head north on the Dawson Developmental Road for 42km. Turn right to head east and stay on the Dawson Developmental Road for a further 89km. Turn right onto Cungelella Road for 24km then veer left to continue on Cungelella Road for a further 14km. Turn right at Salvator Rosa Road and travel approximately 16km to the park entrance.
- The second route is for high-clearance 4WDs only. Head south on the Landsborough Highway for 8km, then turn left onto Mt Playfair Road (Wilderness Way) and drive 33km.Turn left to stay on Mt Playfair Road for another 63km. Turn right onto Cungelella Road and drive 14km, then turn right at Salvator Rosa Road and travel 16km to the park entrance. Please note, the majority of the road names are not signposted at the intersections.
Warning: travel can be unexpectedly slow on these unsealed roads. Be aware of bull dust, sand and changing conditions—roads can become impassable after rain. Please respect the rights of property owners and leave all gates as you find them.
- Read 4WD with care for important information on 4WD safety and minimal impact driving.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Homoranthus Hill walk is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.