About parks permits and policies

As the custodian of national parks, State forests, forest reserves and marine parks, the QPWS aims to balance and promote responsible community use of protected areas for various activities while ensuring similar opportunities are available for future generations to enjoy.

Certain activities (in addition to camping) affecting Queensland's parks and forests need a permit. Activities such as recreational and commercial tours, scientific or educational research and some organised events which can include orienteering, climbing and traversing require a permit.

The permit system ensures the management of these areas and their use is ecologically sustainable. Permits are required for national park, State forest land and marine parks so that managers and planners can regulate aspects of where, what and when activities occur, and to what extent.