Visiting Walshs Pyramid safely
From Cairns travel 25km south along the Bruce Highway, past Gordonvale. About 800m south of the Mulgrave River bridge (Desmond Trannore bridge), turn right onto Moss Road. Follow the signs along this gravel road to the car park where the walking track begins.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
- This is a strenuous walk suitable for fit walkers only. Consider your ability and track conditions before setting out.
- Start walking in the morning and allow plenty of time to return before it gets dark.
- Stay clear of cliff edges—serious injury or death may result from a fall.
- Wear sunscreen, a hat and sunglasses to protect yourself from the sun.
- Carry adequate drinking water—water is not available along the track.
For more information, please read the guidelines on safety in parks and forests.
Essentials to bring
It is advisable to bring:
- plenty of drinking water
- sunscreen, hat and sunglasses
- good hiking boots.
Wooroonooran National Park is open 24 hours a day. Walkers planning to climb Walshs Pyramid are urged to leave in the morning and allow plenty of time to return before dark.
Please leave your pets at home. Domestic animals are not permitted in Wooroonooran National Park.
Climate and weather
During the wetter months, from December to April, there are frequent, heavy downpours. Maximum temperatures through the wet season generally range from 27–33°C, with high humidity.
The cooler, drier months from May to September are the best times for walking. The weather is pleasantly warm during this time, with reduced humidity and maximum temperatures averaging 26°C.
Fuel and supplies
Fuel and supplies are available at Gordonvale. For more information see the tourism information links.
- There are currently no park alerts for this park.