Visiting Wongabel safely
Drive south from Atherton for 8km on the Kennedy Highway. Turn left where the Wongabel State Forest entrance is signposted and follow the signs the short distance to the car park.
Both tracks at Wongabel State Forest are gravel surfaces with occasional tree roots and protruding rocks. Wheelchairs may be able to traverse the tracks, with assistance. The tracks do not meet Australian Standards for wheelchair-accessibility.
- Always carry water, wear a hat and sturdy footwear and try to walk in the cooler part of the day.
- Scrub itch is irritation and rash caused by mites. To avoid scrub itch, remain on the track at all times and do not sit on the ground or lean against trees or branches.
- Apply repellent for protection against scrub itch and biting insects.
- Avoid stinging trees. These plants grow to 4m high and have large, heart-shaped leaves with serrated edges. Do not touch these plants as it will result in a very painful sting. If you are stung and symptoms are severe, seek medical advice.
For more information, please read the guidelines on safety in parks and forests.
Essentials to bring
To enjoy your time at Wongabel State Forest remember to bring:
- drinking water
- sunscreent and a hat
- appropriate footwear
- insect repellent.
Wongabel State Forest is open 24 hours a day. Parts of the walking track are occasionally closed during the harvesting of adjacent plantations. See park alerts for up-to-date information.
Permits and fees
Special permits are required for commercial or organised group activities. Contact us for further information.
Dogs are permitted on the walking tracks in Wongabel State Forest but they must be on a leash at all times.
Climate and weather
The lower humidity and daytime temperatures at Wongabel State Forest are a pleasant escape from the coastal extremes. Maximum summer temperatures for Atherton are around 30°C while winter temperatures can fall below 10°C at night. Most of the rain falls during the wet season, between November and March. For more information, see the tourism information links.
Fuel and supplies
Fuel and supplies are available in Atherton. For more information, see the tourism information links.
- There are currently no park alerts for this park.