Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
About Vernon State Forest
Close to the coast, Vernon State Forest protects an undulating hilly landscape with open eucalypt forests and woodlands.
The State forest is popular for recreation activities including mountain bike riding, trail bike riding, bushwalking and trail running.
The Toogoom mountain bike trail section has a covered area with tables located at the Joey trail and skills area. A great place to relax and enjoy a picnic after you have finished your mountain bike ride, walk or run.
Keep Vernon State Forest looking good!
- Use public toilets located beside the Toogoom Community Hall, corner of Toogoom Road and O’Regan Creek Road.
- Stop the spread of weeds. Ensure clothes, shoes and equipment are clean and free of seeds. Wash your bike thoroughly before and after riding.
- Stay on marked trails and formed roads. Off-road riding and creating new trails damages the environment and is not permitted. Trail bike access is permitted only on the Takura Trail and the four-wheel-drive road.
- Take food scraps and other rubbish away with you for appropriate disposal. Animals can become aggressive or diseased by human food.
- Ride responsibly to minimise erosion and keep trails in good condition—avoid skidding and sliding around turns and downhill or spinning your rear tyre excessively.
- Respect areas closed to riding. Ride on open trails only.
- To protect the forest, open fires are not permitted in Vernon State Forest.
- Remember everything within the park is protected—leave it undisturbed.
See the guidelines on caring for parks for more information about protecting our environment and heritage.
Vernon State Forest was gazetted in 1991 and is currently managed by the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS). Wildlife, recreation, and pest and fire management are part of the custodial responsibilities.
For tourism information for all regions in Queensland see Queensland Holidays.
- There are currently no park alerts for this park.