Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
About Townsville Town Common
Known locally as the Town Common, the park is close to the bustling city centre of Townsville and is a great place to enjoy nature and fantastic coastal views.
Visitors can hike across the Many Peaks Range, enjoy expansive island views while riding the Under the Radar or Smedley's trails or take the trail to the beautiful and secluded Shelly Beach.
Deep-water lagoons, seasonal wetlands, coastal woodlands and sheltered beaches bordered by rocky headlands all feature in this park. Mangrove-lined tributaries of the Bohle River meander across the floodplains that fill each year during the wet summer months.
Up to 280 bird species have been recorded in the area. Magpie geese, brolgas and many others gather here to feed and nest, particularly as the wetlands dry out and food sources become concentrated in the remaining lagoons.
- Stay on marked trails and formed roads to prevent damage to native vegetation, the spread of weed seeds and erosion.
- Keep tracks in good condition and limit erosion by not riding during or immediately after wet weather.
- Rubbish facilities are not provided in the park. Please take your rubbish with you.
- Leave your pets at home. Domestic animals are not permitted in the park.
- Keep wild animals wild. Please do not feed them.
See the guidelines on caring for parks for more information about protecting our environment and heritage in parks.
Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service manages the Townsville Town Common Conservation Park to protect its natural values as an important wetland habitat for a large diversity of bird species and other animal and plant life.
Townsville Visitor Information Centre – Elliot Springs
Corner Elliot Springs Boulevard and Wadda Mooli Parkway
Julago, Townsville Area Qld 4816
ph: 1800 801 902
For tourism information for all regions in Queensland see Queensland Holidays.
The natural, cultural and historical significance of Townsville Town Common