Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Visiting Teerk Roo Ra safely
Teerk Roo Ra National Park is 4 km east of Cleveland, a suburb of Redland City.
Horseshoe Bay and Platypus Bay are open to the public. Most of the island, including the lazaret, is a restricted access area closed to the public for the preservation of historic remains—fines apply and the park is patrolled.
Private boats may moor off the island. Consider the tides when anchoring in shallow water. Weather may significantly affect access; weather forecasts are available from the Bureau of Meteorology.
- There are no areas accessible by wheelchair in Teerk Roo Ra National Park.
For your safety and to protect the historic remains, please stay out of the restricted access areas. Please read the guidelines on safety in parks and forests.
In an emergency
- Dial 000 for fire, medical, police emergency assistance.
- Carry a first-aid kit with you and know how to use it.
- If no mobile reception, try 112. Horseshoe Bay can have average-to-poor reception depending on where you are.
Essentials to bring
Preparation is the key to a safe and enjoyable visit. Ensure you bring:
- hat, sunscreen and first-aid kit
- all your drinking water—fresh water is not available on the island
- a fuel stove—open fires are prohibited; test your fuel stoves before leaving home and never use them in confined spaces such as tents
- insect repellent—mosquitoes and sandflies may be present in large numbers
- rubbish bags—rubbish bins are not provided; take all recyclables and rubbish with you when you leave.
The park is open 24 hours a day.
Permits and fees
Camping permits are required and fees apply. A camping tag with your booking number must be displayed at your campsite.
- More about Teerk Roo Ra National Park camping areas
Domestic animals are not permitted in the national park.
Climate and weather
The Brisbane region enjoys a mild, subtropical climate. The average daily temperature range is 22°C to 30°C in summer and 12°C to 22°C in winter. For more information see the tourism information links below.
Fuel and supplies
There are no supplies on the island. Fuel and supplies are available in Brisbane and North Stradbroke Island. For more information see the tourism information links below.