Red Rock Gorge camping area
Red Rock Gorge camping area is a small, open area surrounded by forest.
- High clearance 4WD
Camping area facilities
- Campfires allowed (conditions apply)
- Toilets (non-flush)
- Tent camping
- Tent camping beside car
Set in a small clearing among fragrant eucalypt forest, this camping area offers a truly secluded holiday experience. Accessible by foot, mountain bike or 4WD only, enjoy the adventure getting there through rugged ‘traprock country’.
Listen out for white-throated tree-creepers, gold whistlers and the calls of peregrine falcons and other birds-of-prey hunting in Red Rock Gorge.
Venture from camp down the 250m track to the lookout for sweeping panoramas across Red Rock Gorge and beyond. Watch the spectacular changing hues along the cliffs as the sun sets—keep watch for bandicoots on the path, shyly appearing for the night.
Getting there and getting around
Red Rock Gorge camping area is in Sundown National Park, 250km (3–4 hrs drive) south-west of Brisbane via Stanthorpe, and 70km north-west of Tenterfield.
- The camping area is accessed via the north-eastern entrance to the park. A high-clearance 4WD is required.
- From Ballandean, drive 16km via unsealed Curr Road and Sundown Road to the park's north-eastern entrance.
- Drive 5.5km along the narrow, rough 4WD track through the park then turn right and travel the final 1.5km to Red Rock Gorge and the camping area. The drive takes about 40mins.
- Read 4WD with care for important information on 4WD safety and minimal impact driving.
Before you visit
Red Rock Gorge camping area is open 24 hours a day. Check-in to your camp after 2pm and check-out by 11am on the day of departure.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
Features: A small, open area surrounded by forest. A 250m track leads from the camping area to a lookout at Red Rock Gorge.
Location: Access is via a rough 4WD track from the north-eastern entrance of the park. It takes about 40 minutes to drive the 7km to the camping area.
Access: The camping area can be reached by 4WD vehicle only.
Number of sites: Open area without separately defined sites. This area has a maximum capacity of 10 people. The maximum group size is six people.
Suitable for: Tent camping beside your vehicle; walk-in camping.
Facilities: Pit toilet.
Open fires: Fuel/gas stoves recommended.
Generators: Not permitted.
Essentials to bring: Drinking water, rubbish bags (no bins are provided), insect repellent, fuel or gas stove, warm clothing and warm bedding, firewood. Read more about before you visit.
Bookings: Book online. Book up to 12 months in advance.
Mobile phone coverage: Limited.
- Sundown National Park camping areas closed due to wildfire 19 September to 6 October 2023
- Norther Sections of Sundown National Park Closed for Access 30 September to 6 October 2023