Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Visiting Southwood safely
Southwood is about a four hour drive west of Brisbane or 140km south-west of Dalby on the Moonie Highway. Four-wheel-drive is recommended on Fabians Road which dissects the park. Roads become boggy when wet.
There are no wheelchair-accessible tracks or facilities in Southwood National Park.
For your safety ensure that you:
- Plan your trip carefully.
- Inform a responsible person of your itinerary.
- Carry adequate supplies of food, water, fuel, vehicle spares and medical supplies.
- Travel below 40km/hr on the park’s narrow, unsealed roads.
- Always wear seat belts and look out for wildlife on the roads.
- Avoid walking, riding and driving during wet weather. Tracks can be slippery, especially after rain.
- Observe and comply with all regulatory and closure signs.
For more information, please read the guidelines on safety in parks and forests.
In an emergency
In case of accident or other emergency:
- call Triple Zero (000)
- advise the location and nature of the emergency
- stay on the phone until you are told to hang up.
The nearest hospital is located 95km away in Tara or Dalby over 140km away.
Essentials to bring
- Bring drinking water, at least 3 litres of water per person. Local water is not suitable for drinking.
- Carry enough food, water, fuel, vehicle spares for your trip.
- Pack a first-aid kit, sunscreen, insect repellent, sturdy shoes and hat.
- Rubbish bins are not provided, Please bring rubbish bags and take all recyclables and rubbish with you when you leave.
- Toilet paper and small shovel (or trowel).
- Bring you camera and binoculars for viewing wildlife.
Southwood National Park is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Domestic pets are prohibited in Southwood National Park.
Climate and weather
In summer, the average temperature is approximately 35°C. Throughout the winter months, the temperature can drop below freezing.
The average annual rainfall is 646mm, with most of it falling over the summer months.
Fuel and supplies
The closest fuel and supplies from the national park are available in Tara (95km) and Dalby (140km).
- There are currently no park alerts for this park.