Visiting Ravensbourne safely
Ravensbourne National Park is situated on a spur of the Great Dividing Range between Toowoomba and Esk.
From Toowoomba or Crows Nest, turn off the New England Highway at Hampton and head east towards Esk for 17km to the park turnoff. From Esk, follow the Esk-Hampton Road for 33km to the park turnoff.
Drive another 1.3km to the Blackbean day-use area at the entrance to the park. Cedar Block day-use area and Gus Beutel lookout are 500m further on.
See the Department of Transport and Main Roads website for information about road and travel conditions.
Facilities at Ravensbourne National Park are not accessible to wheelchairs.
Your safety is our concern, but your responsibility.
- Supervise children closely. Sections of the track have steps and steep drop-offs.
- Take care — sections of the walking tracks can be slippery, especially after rain.
- Wear hat, sunscreen and sturdy walking shoes.
- Apply insect repellent to protect yourself from ticks and biting insects.
- Carry drinking water when walking. Treat or boil water supplied at the park before drinking.
- Avoid contact with stinging nettles and giant stinging trees and leaves — even if they appear to be dead. Wear long trousers and sleeves.
In an emergency
In case of accident or other emergency:
- call Triple Zero (000)
- advise your location and nature of emergency
- stay on the phone until you are told to hang up.
Mobile phone coverage is unreliable.
The nearest hospital is located in Esk, 34km away. Alternatively Toowoomba hospital is 48km away.
For more information, please read the guidelines on safety in parks and forests.
Essentials to bring
- Bring sufficient water, food and first-aid supplies.
- Wear sunscreen, a hat and sturdy shoes. Apply insect repellent and carry a raincoat.
- Rubbish bins are not provided. Bring sturdy garbage bags or containers in which to store rubbish and recyclables for proper disposal after you leave.
- Bring your camera and binoculars for viewing wildlife.
Ravensbourne National park is open 24 hours a day.
Domestic animals are not permitted.
Climate and weather
Expect warm to hot summers and cool to cold winters. Most rain falls during summer months, often as storms.
For more information see the tourism information links below or the Bureau of Meteorology.
Fuel and supplies
Fuel and supplies are available at Hampton, Crows Nest, Toowoomba and Esk.
- There are currently no park alerts for this park.