Things to do
What would you like to do? Central West Queensland parks offer a variety of experiences for the curious visitor. Visit each park’s web page for more information on what they have to offer.
- Birdwatching is best at Bladensburg, Diamantina, Forest Den, Idalia, Lochern and Welford.
- Watch kangaroos and wallabies at Idalia, Lochern and Welford.
- Go bushwalking through Bladensburg, Combo Waterhole, Forest Den, Idalia, Lark Quarry, Lochern and Welford.
- Drive amongst ancient red dunes at Munga-Thirri (formerly Simpson Desert National Park).
- Canoe along rivers and creeks at Diamantina, Lochern and Welford.
- Ride mountain bikes through Idalia, Lochern and Welford.
- Experience pastoral heritage at Bladensburg, Diamantina, Lochern, Welford and Combo.
- Experience Indigenous heritage at Diamantina (visitor information about Indigenous heritage is currently being developed for other parks).
- Learn about fossils at Bladensburg and Lark Quarry.
- Take a self-guided scenic drive through Bladensburg, Diamantina, Idalia, Lochern and Welford.
Species lists are available from Wildlife Online.
Camping permits are required and fees apply. A camping tag with your booking number must be displayed at your camp site.
- See the camping information section of each park’s web page to book your camp site online.
- If you cannot book online, see camping bookings for other options.
- See more general information about camping in national parks.
For more details and important safety information, it is critical that you read the sections below on things to know before you go, staying safe and looking after the park, as well as each park's web page.
There is a range of accommodation available in and around the various towns in the region. See tourism information links for further information.
- There are currently no park alerts for this park.