Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Visiting Mount Lewis safely
From Cairns, travel north along the Captain Cook Highway. Turn left onto the Mossman–Mount Molloy Road (4 km south of Mossman) and travel up the Rex Range. About 9 km after the 'top lookout' on the range, turn right into Mount Lewis Road.
From Mount Molloy, travel north on the Mulligan Highway, turning right onto the Mossman–Mount Molloy Road just after crossing Rifle Creek. Drive for just over 10 km then turn left into Mount Lewis Road.
The road in the park is four-wheel drive only and is closed during wet weather to avoid damage to the road surface. There is no through access and visitors must return the way they came.
Mount Lewis National Park has no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
- Mount Lewis Road is unsealed and has sharp bends and steep grades. Drive slowly to allow time to react. Keep left, especially at sharp bends and crests.
- Expect to share this road with pedestrians and other vehicles, including small tour buses.
- Wear appropriate safety gear and be realistic about your riding and driving abilities. Ride and drive to the conditions.
- When riding, avoid skidding and sliding around turns—this may result in collision with other trail users.
- Be prepared for cool weather.
- Treat all water before drinking.
- Mobile phone coverage may not be reliable.
- Tell friends or family where you are going and when you expect to return.
For more information, read the guidelines on safety in parks and forests.
Essentials to bring
- wet weather gear.
Permits and fees
Domestic animals are not permitted in Mount Lewis National Park.
Climate and weather
The lower humidity and daytime temperatures at Mount Lewis National Park are a pleasant escape from the coastal extremes. At the lower elevations, maximum summer temperatures are around 30 °C while winter temperatures can fall below 10 °C, when frosts are not uncommon. Most of the rain falls during the wet season, between December and April. As the road climbs into the mountains, the temperatures begin to drop. Warm clothes are required throughout the year. Over 900 m, when the road enters the cloud forest, conditions are very damp, even without rain. For more information see the tourism information links.
Fuel and supplies
Fuel and supplies are available from Julatten, Mount Molloy and Mossman. For more information see the tourism information links.
- Temporary closure: Mount Lewis Road, Mount Lewis National Park. 4 January to 1 April 2021