Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Visiting Mia Mia safely
Mia Mia is west of Mackay. Turn off the Mackay-Eungella road at Pinnacle and drive 20km south-west through the forest. The rough, gravel access road is suitable for four-wheel-drive vehicles only. Roads may be closed in wet weather or high fire danger periods. Always check the current park alerts.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities or tracks in Mia Mia State Forest.
- For your safety, leave your itinerary with a friend or relative and advise them when you return.
- Always carry water, wear a hat and sturdy footwear, and try to walk in the cooler part of the day.
- Creek beds and rock surfaces can be slippery. Care is required when traversing these surfaces.
- Avoid bites from sandflies and mosquitoes by using insect repellent and wearing long-sleeved shirts and long pants.
Essentials to bring
Pack the right equipment including:
- food and drinking water
- warm and waterproof clothing
- sturdy, reliable footwear
- hat, sunscreen and sunglasses
- basic first-aid kit
- gas or liquid fuel stove with spare fuel
- cooking utensils and equipment
- torch or headlamp
- quality lightweight and waterproof tent
- insect repellent and clothing to avoid insect bites
- strong rubbish bags.
Mia Mia State Forest is open 24 hours a day, although closures may be enforced during severe weather conditions.
Permits and fees
Climate and weather
The region's dry season occurs during winter (June to August), with average temperatures from 10°C to 20°C. Between October and March, high humidity, strong seasonal rainfall and average temperatures of 20°C to 30°C make walking less comfortable.
Much of the yearly rainfall falls between December and March, with the driest months being August and September. Try to walk between April and September to avoid wet and dry weather extremes.
- For more information see the tourism information links.
- Weather forecasts are available from the Bureau of Meteorology.
Fuel and supplies
Fuel and supplies are available at Pinnacle or Mackay.