Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Don’t miss the chance to see excellent views across the Darlington Range and down into Coomera Valley.
- Journey type
- 5km circuit The same start and finish point, but the traveller doesn’t return along the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow about 1.5hrs walking time.
- Grade 4 walking track
- View map
- Conventional vehicle
- Lookout (natural)
We recommend walking this anticlockwise and returning via the same track.
From the Binna Burra lower day-use area wind up through open eucalypt forest. Keep your eyes aloft as you might just see a koala sitting sleepily in the branches. Also watch for white-throated treecreepers, members of one of the oldest groups of songbirds, along this track.
Pass Kweebani Cave, a large red cedar and fine specimens of other rainforest tree species. Stop at the seat commemorating the efforts of Robert Collins to protect this beautiful landscape and take in the brilliant views into the Coomera Valley, the Darlington Range and rhyolite cliff line.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Warning: this circuit contains unstable surfaces. Rockfalls may occur on the track and in Kweebani Cave. For your safety, avoid lingering near the cave—move along the circuit and view the cave from a safe distance. Please return to the start of the track via the same path to avoid walking beside the bitumen road to complete the circuit. Traffic can be busy, especially on weekends.
Getting there and getting around
The Caves circuit is in the Binna Burra section of Lamington National Park 110km south of Brisbane.
- The circuit starts at Binna Burra lower day-use area or the road entrance to Binna Burra Lodge.
- The Binna Burra lower day-use area is on Binna Burra Road, 1.7km from the park entrance.
Getting to Lamington
- Green Mountains section map
- Binna Burra section map
- Gold Coast and hinterland parks locality map
- View Google map
Getting to Green Mountains section
Getting to Binna Burra section
Before you visit
Caves circuit is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Gold Coast Hinterland Great Walk Partially Closed and Caves Circuit Detour 31 August 2020 to 6 August 2021
- Binna Burra walking tracks partial closure 7 September 2019 to 2 November 2020
- Caves Circuit Partially Closed 31 August to 31 October 2020
- Binna Burra Road temporary road closures 2 September to 30 October 2020
- O'Reilly's Campground open - Lamington National Park 18 September to 31 December 2020