Visiting Jourama Falls safely
Travel 91km north of Townsville or 24km south of Ingham, then turn off the Bruce Highway onto the 4.5km, unsealed access road to Jourama Falls, Paluma Range National Park. The access road is suitable for most conventional vehicles and caravans. Access may be restricted during the summer wet season when Waterview Creek rises and causeways are impassable.
The toilets and shelter sheds are wheelchair-accessible.
- Never jump or dive into water and be careful at the water’s edge. Rocks can be extremely slippery and submerged timber can appear after flooding. Fatalities and serious injuries have occurred here.
- Do not attempt to cross strong flowing creeks and streams. Flooding can occur during and after heavy or prolonged periods of rain and the creek may become impassable. Ensure you have several extra days' worth of food.
- Do not feed native wildlife. It is a health risk to them and a safety risk to you.
- Wear insect repellent, sunscreen, suitable clothing and shoes to protect yourself from stings, scratches, bites and the sun.
- Cassowaries live in some areas. Never approach or feed these animals and remember to be Cass-o-wary!
- Venomous fish called bullrouts live in some creeks. Wear sandshoes or similar footwear and take care when investigating unusual rocks or objects. Be aware of the required first-aid procedures.
- Carry adequate drinking water. Treat all water from taps, creeks and streams before drinking.
For more information, please read the guidelines on safety in parks and forests.
Essentials to bring
- a first-aid kit
- a hat, sunscreen and sunglasses
- drinking water
- rubbish bags
- insect repellent.
Jourama Falls, Paluma Range National Park is open 24 hours a day. For your safety, walk in daylight hours only.
Camping permits are required and fees apply. A camping tag with your booking number must be displayed at your campsite.
Domestic animals are not permitted in Paluma Range National Park.
Climate and weather
The Jourama Falls section of Paluma Range National Park has a wet, tropical climate. In summer, rainfall can exceed 500mm in 24hrs. During the cooler months of the year, from April to September, daytime temperatures range between 25°C and 29°C and there is little rainfall.
Fuel and supplies
Fuel and supplies are available at Ingham and Townsville. For more information see the tourism information links.
- Temporary closure: Jourama Falls lookout platform, Jourama Falls section, Paluma National Park 5 May to 3 September 2021