Ussher Point camping area
Ussher Point camping area is very remote and isolated. Close to the beach and cliffs and surrounded by coastal heath vegetation.
- High clearance 4WD
Camping area facilities
- Campfires allowed (conditions apply)
- Generators allowed (conditions apply)
- Tent camping
- Tent camping beside car
Camping area features: very remote and isolated. Close to the beach and cliffs and surrounded by coastal heath vegetation.
Location: on the eastern boundary of Jardine River Resources Reserve on the far-northern east coast of Cape York Peninsula.
Access: the camping area can only be reached by four-wheel-drive. Camper trailers are not recommended.
Number of sites: four numbered sites.
|Site||Camp size||Other comments|
|1||Maximum one vehicle (four people).||2km inland from the beach. Surrounded by heath vegetation with good protection from south-easterly tradewinds.|
|2||Maximum two vehicles (eight people).||Surrounded by heath vegetation with some protection from south-easterly tradewinds.|
|3||Maximum one vehicle (four people).||Open site on the dunes beside the beach.|
|4||Maximum one vehicle (four people).||Open site on the coastal cliff with excellent views. Limited beach access.|
Camp sites are suitable for: tent camping only.
Camp site surface: dirt.
Open fires: allowed (except when fire bans apply) in existing fireplaces only. Do not collect firewood in the national park. Fuel stoves are recommended.
Generators: generators that operate at a noise level less than 65dB(A) at 7m are permitted.
Essentials to bring: adequate food and drinking water, rubbish bags, insect repellent, screened tents or mosquito nets, fuel stove, adequate fuel and spare parts for your vehicle. Read more about before you visit.
Bookings: book online or learn about our camping booking options prior to arrival.
Mobile phone coverage: not available.
Upcoming camping area availability
For more safety information see Visiting Jardine Heathlands safely and camp with care.
- Temporary closure: camp site 4 Ussher Point camping area, Apudthama National Park (CYPAL) 14 October 2020 to 15 December 2023
- Temporary closure for protection zone burning: Eliot Falls camping and day-use area, Apudthama National Park (CYPAL) 19 December 2022 to 16 June 2023
- Apudthama National Park (CYPAL) 9 September 2022 to 28 July 2023
- Safety advice: Scrubby Creek crossing into Eliot Falls camping and day-use area, Apudthama National Park (CYPAL) 23 December 2020 to 15 December 2023