South Jardine River camping area
South Jardine River camping area features sandy sites on the southern bank of the Jardine River, on the old Telegraph Road, 24km south of the Jardine River Ferry Crossing.
- High clearance 4WD
Camping area facilities
- Campfires allowed (conditions apply)
- Generators allowed (conditions apply)
- Tent camping
- Camper trailer camping
- Tent camping beside car
Camping area features: sandy sites on the southern bank of the Jardine River.
Location: on the Old Telegraph Track, 32km north of Eliot Falls camping area or 24km south of the Jardine River ferry crossing via the Northern Bypass Road.
Access: the camping area can only be reached by four-wheel-drive vehicles and off-road campervans and camper trailers. It is not accessible for caravans or conventional buses.
Number of sites: seven numbered sites.
|Site||Camp size||Other comments|
|1||Maximum one car and trailer (four people).||Near the Jardine River.|
|2||Maximum three cars and trailers (eight people).||On the edge of a sandbar, near the Jardine River.|
|3||Maximum three cars and trailers (eight people).||On the edge of a sandbar, near the Jardine River.|
|4||Maximum three cars and trailers (eight people).||Beside the old Jardine River crossing.|
|5||Maximum two cars and trailers (six people).||Beside the old Jardine River crossing.|
|6||Maximum one car and trailer (four people).||Elevated site looking over the Jardine River.|
|7||Maximum one car and trailer (four people).||Elevated site looking over the Jardine River.|
Camp sites are suitable for: tents or off-road camper trailers.
Camp site surface: dirt.
Open fires: allowed (except when fire bans apply) in existing fireplaces only. Do not collect firewood from the national park. Fuel stoves are recommended.
Generators: generators that operate at a noise level less than 65dB(A) at 7m are permitted.
Essentials to bring: adequate food and drinking water, rubbish bags, insect repellent, screened tents or mosquito nets, a fuel stove, adequate fuel and spare parts for your vehicle. Read more about before you visit.
Mobile phone coverage: not available.
- Temporary closure due to road access: North Jardine River camping area, Jardine River National Park 2–30 August 2021
- Road conditions on Old Telegraph Track: South Jardine River camping area, Jardine River National Park 24 June to 10 August 2021
- Safety advice: Scrubby Creek crossing into Eliot Falls camping and day-use area, Heathlands Resources Reserve 23 December 2020 to 31 August 2021
- Temporary closure: camp site 4 Ussher Point camping area, Jardine River National Park 14 October 2020 to 23 December 2021