Pelican Bay camping area
There’s something for every camper at this waterfront spot on the western side of the peninsula. With shady and secluded sites this camping area gives you all the benefits of a coastal escape away from the crowds not to mention front row seats to the beach and Great Sandy Marine Park.
- High clearance 4WD
Camping area facilities
- Anchoring allowed
- Campfires allowed (conditions apply)
- Generators allowed (conditions apply)
- Tent camping
- Camper trailer camping
- Tent camping beside car
- Dogs permitted (on leash)
With shady and secluded sites this camping area gives you all the benefits of a coastal escape away from the crowds not to mention front row seats to the beach and Great Sandy Marine Park.
During the day explore the area on foot or by boat. Fish the calm bay waters and cook your catch over your camp fire as you watch the sun set.
Pelican Bay is located off Bullock Point Road, just north of the Inskip Point Road turn off.
A small, open camping area is located behind the foredunes and on the beachfront, with no formally defined sites. Coastal trees provide dappled shade in some areas, and camp site surface is sand. Some camp sites offer views across Pelican Bay towards Inskip Peninsula. Other camp sites, a little further inland, provide shelter from the sun and prevailing winds. The beach is a short walk away. Access is 4WD only and suits small groups.
There are no facilities provided in this camping area, mobile phone coverage is intermittent. Dogs are permitted, but must be on a leash and under control at all times.
Why Pelican Bay? Large flocks of pelicans reside in the calm waters of the bay.
Camping area features: Open camping area on the waterfront and foredunes. No formally defined sites.
- Coastal trees provide dappled shade in some areas.
- Some camp sites provide views across Pelican Bay and towards Inskip Peninsula.
- Other camp sites, located a little further inland, are more sheltered from the sun and prevailing winds.
Location: Off Bullock Point Road, just north of the Inskip Point turn off.
Access: 4WD only, access only off Bullock Point Road, no vehicle access permits needed.
- See the map on the sign at the camping area entrance for access details.
- Very restricted access for off road small camper trailers Campers with large camper trailers should choose another camping area with better access. Not suitable for camping buses, motorhomes or caravans. No vehicle access to or from the beach from within this camping area.
Number of sites: Open area without separately defined sites.
- Occupation of a camp site is on a ‘first in, best placed’ basis.
- Reserving or roping off areas is not permitted.
- All structures under a single camping permit must be in one place and no more than 3m apart.
- Don't spread your camp too far, so others can fit in too; rangers will ask you to move structures that have taken up an unreasonable amount of space.
Camp sites are suitable for: tent camping beside a vehicle, campervans and small off road camper trailers.
- Small camping structures are recommended here.
Camp site surface: Grass and/or sand.
- No showers.
- No water taps.
- No rubbish bins.
- If you bring a portable toilet, the nearest waste disposal facility is available at the council service facility located on Clarkson Drive just outside of Rainbow Beach.
- The service facility also has drinking water—take your own water storage containers.
Also see: the short video about campfire prohibitions and fuel stoves.
Generators: Only low decibel generators up to 2.0Kva are permitted. Turn generators off after 9pm.
Essentials to bring: Drinking water, rubbish bags, insect repellent, fuel or gas stove first-aid kit, sunscreen, sand pegs.
- For campfires bring clean, untreated firewood such as milled timber off-cuts.
- Bring kindling and fire lighters as collecting and burning wood, including leaves and twigs, from the protected area is illegal and penalties apply.
- Portable toilets are preferred, but please do not empty portable toilet waste into the camping area toilets.
- Please dispose of your toilet waste at the council service facility on Clarkson Drive just north of Rainbow Beach.
Bookings: Camping permits are required before setting up camp. Book online or learn about our camping booking options. Advance bookings are required, especially for holiday periods including long weekends and public holidays.
Also see: Camping during peak periods
Mobile phone coverage: Intermittent.