Dorrigo South camping area
There’s something for every camper at this popular beachside spot on the eastern side of the peninsula.
- High clearance 4WD
Camping area facilities
- Campfires allowed (conditions apply)
- Generators allowed (conditions apply)
- Tent camping
- Caravan camping
- Camper trailer camping
- Campervan camping
- Tent camping beside car
- Dogs permitted (on leash)
Set up camp with ocean views of Double Island Point, or seek out a more sheltered patch among the red ash and sheoaks. From here you can fish, walk and drive in the surrounding recreation area and marine park.
Why S.S. Dorrigo? The names of six camping areas on the Inskip Peninsula recall past shipping history. On Good Friday 2 April 1926 the steamer S.S. Dorrigo, bound for Thursday Island from Brisbane, sank in heavy seas several kilometres off Double Island Point. The captain and his son were rescued, the body of the bo’sun was found on K'gari (Fraser Island), but all 21 other crew members disappeared without a trace.
Camping area features: Open camping area behind the foredunes and close to the bitumen road. No formally defined sites.
- Coastal trees and shrubs provide dappled shade in some areas.
- It is only a short walk to the surf beach or to the more sheltered Pelican Bay.
- Some camp sites provide views across the ocean towards Double Island Point.
Other camp sites, located closer to the bitumen road, are more sheltered from prevailing ocean winds.
Access: 4WD only, access from Inskip Point Road or the beach, no vehicle access permits required. Limited access for off road high clearance camper trailers and caravans. Not suitable for camping buses and motorhomes.
- Vehicles with camper trailers and caravans have very restricted access. Choose another camping area with better access for these vehicles. No vehicle access to or from the beach from within this camping area.
- A beach access track is located just north of the camping area's exit.
Number of sites: Open area without separately defined sites.
- Occupation of a camp site is on a ‘first in, best placed’ basis.
- Reserving or roping off areas is not permitted.
- All structures under a single camping permit must be in one place and no more than 3m apart.
- Don't spread your camp too far, so others can fit in too; rangers will ask you to move structures that have taken up an unreasonable amount of space.
Camp sites are suitable for: tent camping beside a vehicle and campervans. Very limited sites for off road small camper trailers and caravans. Small camping structures are recommended here.
- Small camping structures are recommended here.
Camp site surface: Grass and/or sand.
- No showers.
- No water taps.
- Rubbish bins are located near the camping area exit.
- No toilet facilities.
- If you bring a portable toilet, the nearest waste disposal facility is available at the council service facility located on Clarkson Drive just outside of Rainbow Beach.
- The service facility also has drinking water—take your own water storage containers.
Also see: the short video about campfire prohibitions and fuel stoves.
Generators: Only low decibel generators up to 2.0Kva are permitted. Turn generators off after 9pm.
Essentials to bring: Drinking water, portable toilet, rubbish bags, insect repellent, fuel or gas stove first-aid kit, sunscreen, sand pegs.
- For campfires bring clean, untreated firewood such as milled timber off-cuts.
- Bring kindling and fire lighters as collecting and burning wood, including leaves and twigs, from the protected area is illegal and penalties apply.
- Portable toilets are preferred, but please do not empty portable toilet waste into the camping area toilets.
- Please dispose of your toilet waste at the council service facility on Clarkson Drive just north of Rainbow Beach.
Bookings: Camping permits are required before setting up camp. Book online or learn about our camping booking options. Advance bookings are required, especially for holiday periods including long weekends and public holidays.
Also see: Camping during peak periods
Mobile phone coverage: Intermittent.