South Zoe Bay camping area
A very special place, this spectacular beach-side camping area will take your breath way.
- Canoe or kayak
Camping area facilities
- Anchoring allowed
- Picnic tables
- Toilets (non-flush)
- Tent camping
- Photo credit: © Andrew Bain
- Photo credit: Evan Ivey © Queensland Government
- Photo credit: Emma Schmidt © Queensland Government
Located at the mouth of South Zoe Creek on spectacular Zoe Bay, this camping area is the epitome of a tropical island paradise. Tuck yourself in under the thick canopy and take in the spell-binding ocean views from your tent, or grab a towel and head up the track to stunning Zoe Falls.
From the rock face high above, water cascades over cliffs and ledges, gathering in pools and eddying around obstacles before the final plunge into the impossibly blue pool below. Slip into the pool and wash away the dust and salt of the day.
This island park is part of the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area, famed for its superlative natural beauty, outstanding examples of reef ecosystem development, evolutionary history and amazing diversity.
Getting there and getting around
South Zoe Bay camping area is in Hinchinbrook Island National Park, 8km off the Queensland coast at Cardwell.
- The camping area is on the Thorsborne Trail on the eastern coast of Hinchinbrook Island, located south of Thorsborne Bay and north of Mulligan Bay.
- You can also book it without walking the trail, accessing the site by private vessel launched from Cardwell or Lucinda, or by sea kayak.
- If you plan to head to the island in your own boat, first obtain a copy of the Hinchinbrook Marine Wonders brochure (PDF, 3.36MB) for information on transit lanes and boat speeds to aid dugong and turtle conservation.
- Access to some areas of Hinchinbrook Island is weather and tide dependent and a good knowledge of the waters and potential hazards is essential.
- Check local tide tables and weather conditions at the Bureau of Meteorology before you set out.
- Read boat and fish with care for tips on boating and fishing safety and caring for parks. Zoning restrictions apply.
Before you visit
South Zoe Bay camping area is open 24 hours a day. Check-in to your camp after 2pm and check-out by 11am on the day of departure.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
Camping area features: bush camping with beach access.
Location: eastern side of Hinchinbrook Island, south of Ramsay Bay and north of Mulligan Bay.
Access: the camping area can be reached by boat. Access is weather-dependent and a good knowledge of the waters and hazards is essential.
Number of sites: open area without separately defined sites.
Camp sites are suitable for: tent camping.
Camp site surface: sand, dirt and grass.
Facilities: toilet and picnic tables.
Open fires: prohibited.
Generators: not permitted.
Essentials to bring: drinking water, rubbish bags, insect repellent and fuel stove. Read more about before you visit.
Bookings: book online or learn about our camping booking options. Advance bookings are recommended for school holiday periods.
Mobile phone coverage: not available.
Upcoming camping area availability
For more safety information see Visiting Hinchinbrook Island safely and camp with care.
- Challenging summer hiking conditions on Thorsborne Trail 31 October 2022 to 31 March 2023