North Zoe Bay camping
Spend a few days exploring and fishing around this prime camping spot at the mouth of North Zoe Creek.
Camping area facilities
- Anchoring allowed
- Tent camping
- Canoeing and kayaking
Pack the camping and fishing gear into your boat or kayak and head for this quiet beach-side camping area. Right at the mouth of North Zoe Creek, south of Thorsborne Bay and north of Mulligan Bay, the camping area has unlimited beach access and is a prime fishing spot (zoning restrictions apply).
Sea turtles often feed on the seagrass in the mouth of the creek. If you sit quietly in your boat or kayak you’re bound to be rewarded with generous sightings of these quiet sea creatures.
At night, fall asleep to the sounds of the ocean and wake refreshed for another day exploring this stunning tropical island.
This island park is part of the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area, famed for its superlative natural beauty, outstanding examples of reef ecosystem development, evolutionary history and amazing diversity.
Getting there and getting around
North Zoe Bay camping area is in Hinchinbrook Island National Park, 8km off the Queensland coast at Cardwell.
- The camping area is on the eastern side of Hinchinbrook, located south of Ramsay Bay and north of Mulligan Bay and can be accessed by private vessel launched from Cardwell or Lucinda, or by sea kayak.
- Visitors accessing the island by private vessel should obtain a copy of the Hinchinbrook Marine Wonders brochure (PDF, 3.36MB) for information on transit lanes and boat speeds to aid dugong and turtle conservation.
- Access to some areas of Hinchinbrook Island is weather and tide dependent and a good knowledge of the waters and potential hazards is essential.
- Check local tide tables and weather conditions at the Bureau of Meteorology before you set out.
- Read boat and fish with care for tips on boating and fishing safety and caring for parks.
- Commercial sea kayak tours of Hinchinbrook Island are available.
- For tourism information for all regions in Queensland, see Queensland.com, and for friendly advice on how to get there, where to stay and what to do, find your closest accredited visitor information centre.
Before you visit
North Zoe Bay camping area is open 24 hours a day. Check-in to your camp after 2pm and check-out by 11am on the day of departure.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
Camping area features: bush camping with beach access.
Location: eastern side of Hinchinbrook Island, south of Thorsborne Bay and north of Mulligan Bay.
Access: the camping area can be reached by boat. Access is weather-dependent and a good knowledge of the waters and hazards is essential. This camping area is not available to Thorsborne Trail walkers.
Number of sites: open area without separately defined sites.
Camp sites are suitable for: tent camping.
Camp site surface: sand, dirt and grass.
Facilities: no facilities.
Open fires: prohibited.
Generators: not permitted.
Essentials to bring: drinking water, rubbish bags, insect repellent and fuel stove. Read more about before you visit.
Mobile phone coverage: not available.
- Planned Burns Hinchinbrook Island 10–16 October 2022