Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Valley of the Giants great walk camp sites
Sheltered beneath towering trees, this cool site is the perfect spot to set up camp after a long day of walking.
- Toilets (non-flush)
- Picnic tables
- Tent camping
- Long walk to tent
Dump your pack, unlace your boots and set up camp in this lush rainforest in the central dunes. After a day on the Fraser Island Great Walk, you’ll enjoy the chance to relax and connect with nature in this picturesque spot.
If you can, plan an extra night here so you can explore the hidden 1000-year-old treasures of this rainforest. A 12.4km return side trail takes you deep into the heart of this amazing forest where you’ll see massive tallowwood and satinay trees.
After a peaceful night (or two!), hoist your pack and head off on the rest of your Fraser Island Great Walk adventure.
This park is part of the Fraser Island World Heritage Area, famed for its exceptional natural beauty, outstanding examples of coastal dune landform development and evolutionary history.
Getting there and getting around
Valley of the Giant walkers' camp is on K'gari (Fraser Island), 15km off the coast of Hervey Bay and about 300km north of Brisbane.
- The walkers' camp is on the Fraser Island Great Walk, 16.2km north of Lake Wabby walkers' camp, 13.1km south of Lake Garawongera walkers' camp and 7.8km from a minor Fraser Island Great Walk access track at the southern section of the Winnam camping area in Beach camping zone 3.
Getting to K'gari
You can get to the island by high clearance 4WD, on foot, by plane or with a commercial tour.
Check the K'gari (Fraser Island) conditions report for the latest information on access, closures and conditions within the recreation area.
- Subscribe to the RSS feed to receive automated updates. (About RSS feeds).
- Your high clearance 4WD must have low range functions.
- Remember all vehicles must be registered, drivers must be licensed and all Queensland road rules apply, even on beaches.
- Read 4WD with care for important information on 4WD safety and minimal impact driving.
- A vehicle access permit must be purchased. Display the permit on your windscreen before driving in the recreation area.
From Inskip Point (15mins from Rainbow Beach)
- At the end of the bitumen on Inskip Point Road, reduce tyre pressure, engage 4WD and drive 500m onto the beach.
- Drive onto the Manta Ray barge for the 10–15min trip to Hook Point on the southern tip of K'gari (Fraser Island), and the start of the Eastern Beach scenic drive.
- Bookings for this barge are not required.
From River Heads (east of Maryborough)
- Travel 10.6km along River Heads Road to the Fraser Island Barges landing area.
- The trip to Wanggoolba Creek on western K'gari (Fraser Island) takes 30–45min.
- The trip to Kingfisher Bay on western K'gari (Fraser Island) takes 50mins–1hr.
- These barges run at fixed time and bookings are essential.
- Walkers can board a vehicle barge to the island (details above) or arrive by plane.
- Flights leave from Hervey Bay and Maryborough.
By private vessel
- Access K'gari (Fraser Island)'s sheltered western coastline by private vessel. The eastern coastline of the island is extremely hazardous and exposed to very rough ocean conditions.
- Launch your boat at one of the many boat ramps on the mainland between Tin Can Bay and Burnett Heads. There are no boat ramps on K'gari (Fraser Island).
- See Maritime Safety Queensland's Beacon to Beacon Guides for the Great Sandy Strait and Hervey Bay for detailed navigational maps.
- The waters adjacent to Fraser Island are in the Great Sandy Marine Park.
- If you're heading out on the water make sure you know your zones so you can follow the rules.
- Read boat and fish with care for tips on boating and fishing safety and caring for parks.
- You can join a range of tours that leave from a variety of centres.
- For tourism information for all regions in Queensland, see Queensland.com, and for friendly advice on how to get there, where to stay and what to do, find your closest accredited visitor information centre.
Before you visit
Valley of the Giants walkers' camp is open 24 hours a day. Check-in to your camp after 2pm and check-out by 11am on the day of departure.
- Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
The Fraser Island Great Walk is generally open from 1 March to 31 October each year.
- At all other times the fire danger risk may be too high.
- The dates depend on environmental conditions and will vary each year.
- Check park alerts for the latest information.
- Dingo (Wongari) Seasonal Information - Whelping Season 20 October to 4 December 2020
- K'gari (Fraser Island) Great Walk advanced booking restriction 30 November 2020 to 28 February 2021