Jabiru Swamp great walk camp sites
After a day on your feet, relax and recuperate beside a shady freshwater aquifer that is alive with the calls of birds and frogs.
Camping area facilities
- Picnic tables
- Tent camping
- Long walk to tent
This camping area is on the Dilli Village walk—an access track linking Hook Point and the K'gari (Fraser Island) Great Walk. Sitting on slightly elevated ground on the western fringe of this freshwater aquifer, it won't take long for you to unwind from the day's hike and set up camp to the sounds of the vibrant birdlife.
Search the reedy water and sky overhead for Australia’s only stork, after which the swamp is named. At night, spend time star gazing before being lulled to sleep by the musical orchestra of acid frogs in the swamp sedges.
This park is part of the K'gari (Fraser Island) World Heritage Area, famed for its exceptional natural beauty, outstanding examples of coastal dune landform development and evolutionary history.
Getting there and getting around
Jabiru Swamp walkers' camp is on K'gari (Fraser Island), 15km off the coast of Hervey Bay and about 300km north of Brisbane.
- The walkers' camp is on the Dilli Village walk, 15.3km north of Hook Point and 10km south of the privately-managed Dilli Village camping area.
Getting to K'gari
You can get to the island by high clearance 4WD, on foot, by plane or with a commercial tour.
Check the K'gari (Fraser Island) conditions report for the latest information on access, closures and conditions within the recreation area.
- Subscribe to the RSS feed to receive automated updates. (About RSS feeds).
- Your high clearance 4WD must have low range functions.
- Remember all vehicles must be registered, drivers must be licensed and all Queensland road rules apply, even on beaches.
- Read 4WD with care for important information on 4WD safety and minimal impact driving.
- A vehicle access permit must be purchased. Display the permit on your windscreen before driving in the recreation area.
From Inskip Point (15mins from Rainbow Beach)
- At the end of the bitumen on Inskip Point Road, reduce tyre pressure, engage 4WD and drive 500m onto the beach.
- Drive onto the Manta Ray barge for the 10–15min trip to Hook Point on the southern tip of K'gari (Fraser Island), and the start of the Eastern Beach scenic drive.
- Bookings for this barge are not required.
From River Heads (east of Maryborough)
- Travel 10.6km along River Heads Road to the Fraser Island Barges landing area.
- The trip to Wanggoolba Creek on western K'gari (Fraser Island) takes 30–45min.
- The trip to Kingfisher Bay on western K'gari (Fraser Island) takes 50mins–1hr.
- These barges run at fixed time and bookings are essential.
- Walkers can board a vehicle barge to the island (details above) or arrive by plane.
- Flights leave from Hervey Bay and Maryborough.
By private vessel
- Access K'gari's sheltered western coastline by private vessel. The eastern coastline of the island is extremely hazardous and exposed to very rough ocean conditions.
- Launch your boat at one of the many boat ramps on the mainland between Tin Can Bay and Burnett Heads. There are no boat ramps on K'gari.
- See Maritime Safety Queensland's Beacon to Beacon Guides for the Great Sandy Strait and Hervey Bay for detailed navigational maps.
- The waters adjacent to K'gari are in the Great Sandy Marine Park.
- If you're heading out on the water make sure you know your zones so you can follow the rules.
- Read boat and fish with care for tips on boating and fishing safety and caring for parks.
- You can join a range of tours that leave from a variety of centres.
- For tourism information for all regions in Queensland, see Queensland.com, and for friendly advice on how to get there, where to stay and what to do, find your closest accredited visitor information centre.
Before you visit
Jabiru Swamp walkers' camp is open 24 hours a day. Check-in to your camp after 2pm and check-out by 11am on the day of departure.
- Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
The Fraser Island Great Walk is generally open from 1 March to 31 October each year.
- At all other times the fire danger risk may be too high.
- The dates depend on environmental conditions and will vary each year.
- Check park alerts for the latest information.
Upcoming camping area availability
For more safety information see Visiting K'gari (Fraser Island) Great Walk safely and camp with care.
- Central Station Construction Works 24 March to 1 April 2023
- Dilli Village South 20–31 March 2023
- Dingo (Wongari) Seasonal Information - Mating Season 1 March to 31 May 2023
- Park Alert - K'gari Planned Burn Season 2023 21 February to 31 August 2023
- Smoke Alert - K'gari Planned Burn Season 2023 21 February to 31 August 2023
- Marine Stingers 15 November 2022 to 31 May 2023
- Be dingo-safe
K'gari (Fraser Island) conditions report Updated 1 Mar 2023
Critical information for your safety is included in the conditions report—always check it before you visit.