Visiting Edmund Kennedy safely
Turn off the Bruce Highway 4km north of Cardwell and drive 1km along Clift Road to the park entrance. From here the unsealed road is often narrow and winding. Caravans should be left outside the park. The road continues another 3km to the beach. Drive carefully—walkers are sometimes on the road. The road can be slippery or flooded in the wet season.
Contact the Cassowary Coast Regional Council Information Centre in Cardwell to enquire about local road conditions.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities in this section of the park.
- Estuarine crocodiles live in the waterways along the coast and offshore of Girramay National Park. These crocodiles are potentially dangerous and visitors are asked to avoid and respect crocodiles. You are responsible for your own safety, so please remember to Be croc wise in croc country.
- During summer months, mosquitoes and midges are a problem. Avoid insect bites by using insect repellent, and wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants.
- Protect yourself from the sun. Wear sunscreen, a hat and a long-sleeved shirt, even on cloudy days.
- Drive safely on the access road. Follow normal road rules wherever you are driving. Watch for oncoming traffic and pedestrians and share the road.
- Take care when walking on the road.
For more information, please read the guidelines on safety in parks and forests.
Essentials to bring
- drinking water
- sunscreen, hat and sunglasses
- insect repellent and suitable clothing to protect against insect bites
- rubbish bags
- vinegar in case of box jellyfish stings
- bird and mangrove identification guides are useful.
The Edmund Kennedy section of Girramay National Park is open 24 hours a day.
Domestic animals are not permitted in Girramay National Park.
Climate and weather
Cardwell and the surrounding area have a tropical climate. Summer can be very hot and humid with maximum temperatures reaching over 35 degrees Celsius. During the 'wet season' from December to April, there are heavy, frequent downpours. During the cooler, drier months from May to September, the weather is pleasantly warm with reduced humidity. For more information see the tourism information links below.
Fuel and supplies
Fuel and supplies are available at Cardwell. For more information see the tourism information links below.
- There are currently no park alerts for this park.