Rainforest circuit track
Explore tall, dense lowland rainforest as you enjoy the views on this moderately easy circuit walk.
- Journey type
- 2.4km circuit The same start and finish point, but the traveller doesn’t return along the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 45min walking time.
- Moderate (walk)
- Conventional vehicle
- Lookout (natural)
Feel immersed in moist cool green rainforest on this moderately easy track, leading from the Rex Creek Bridge track. Steep mountain ranges behind Mossman Gorge trap moisture that blows in from the ocean, creating the wet conditions that nurture this rainforest.
Look for strangler figs, many kinds of epiphytic plants and bright butterflies, and enjoy views of Mount Demi from a small lookout along the way. Or join a guided Ngadiku Dreamtime Walk for insight into Kuku-Yalanji connections with the rainforest.
This park is part of the Wet Tropics World Heritage Area, famed for its exceptional natural beauty, outstanding examples of the record of life, evolutionary history and remarkable diversity.
Getting there and getting around
The Rainforest Circuit track is in the Mossman Gorge section of Daintree National Park (CYPAL), about 80km north of Cairns.
- From Cairns drive 80km north along the Captain Cook Highway then just before Mossman town centre, turn left into Johnston Road and continue for 2km to the Mossman Gorge Centre near the entrance to the Mossman Gorge section of the park.
- Electric shuttle buses operate daily from the centre (every 15min from 8am–6pm) transporting visitors on a 2km journey into the park.
- Private vehicles are not permitted in the park from 8am to 6pm daily, but can access the park before 8am and after 6pm. You can walk or cycle to the park at any time.
- From the shuttle bus stop car park in Mossman Gorge, take the Baral Marrjanga track and Rex Creek Bridge track. The Rainforest Circuit track begins on the far side of the bridge.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Rainforest circuit track is open 24 hours a day.
This track may be closed at times due to localised flooding or for track maintenance during the wet season.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.