Mossman Gorge day-use area
Arrive at this busy day-use area by shuttle bus, ready to relax with a picnic and explore the walks in Mossman Gorge.
- Conventional vehicle
- Toilets (flush)
- Picnic tables (some sheltered)
- Wheelchair access (may require assistance)
All roads lead to the Mossman Gorge day-use area—or at least the road into Mossman Gorge! The day-use area is usually very busy from 8am to 6pm, when the Mossman Gorge Centre’s shuttle buses are running. Outside these hours, you can drive to the day-use area.
Set off to explore one of several walking tracks through Mossman Gorge with its lush rainforest featuring strangler-figs and epiphytes, then relax with a picnic in the shady day-use area or find a spot beside the river.
This park is part of the Wet Tropics World Heritage Area, famed for its exceptional natural beauty, outstanding examples of the record of life, evolutionary history and remarkable diversity.
Getting there and getting around
The Mossman Gorge day-use area is in the Mossman Gorge section of Daintree National Park, about 80km north of Cairns.
- From Cairns drive 80km north along the Captain Cook Highway then just before Mossman town centre, turn left into Johnston Road and continue for 2km to the Mossman Gorge Centre near the entrance to the Mossman Gorge section of the park.
- Electric shuttle buses operate daily from the centre (every 15mins from 8am–6pm) transporting visitors on a 2km journey into the park.
- Private vehicles are not permitted in the park from 8am to 6pm daily, but can access the park before 8am and after 6pm. You can walk or cycle to the park at any time.
- The day-use area is near the shuttle bus stop and car park in Mossman Gorge.
The day-use area, shuttle bus, toilets and the rainforest boardwalk Baral Marrjanga, which leads from the car park to the Mossman River lookout, are all wheelchair accessible.
Before you visit
Mossman Gorge day-use area is open 24 hours a day
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
For more safety information see Visiting Mossman Gorge safely.
- Temporary closure Mossman River lookout: Mossman Gorge day-use area, Daintree National Park 24 May to 13 August 2021