Visiting Currimundi safely
Getting there and getting around
The park is on Currimundi Lake’s northern shore, 6.5km north of Caloundra. Travel on the Nicklin Way, at Wurtulla turn east into Gayandi Street, then right into Mandara Drive and left into Coongarra Esplanade. Walking tracks begin at the eastern end of Coongarra Esplanade. Parking is available along the edge of Sunshine Coast Council’s Crummunda Park.
There are no facilities suitable for people in wheelchairs within the conservation park.
Adjoining the conservation park and overlooking Currimundi Creek, Sunshine Coast Council’s Crummunda Park, on Coongarra Esplanade has picnic facilities and wheelchair accessible toilets.
- It is essential to stay on the walking tracks and fire management trails. The park is identified as an area containing unexploded ordinance (UXO) used for military training exercises around World War II.
- Turn back when the track is covered by water. Walking through and around waterlogged areas that have slippery, boggy surfaces increases fall and injury risks—it also damages precious habitat. Sensitive wet heathland areas are prone to water inundation from January to June.
- Never walk alone; walk with a group and walk in daylight hours.
- Wear footwear suitable for sandy tracks, a hat and sunscreen.
- Take drinking water, a mobile phone, first-aid kit (including snake bite bandages) and insect repellent.
For more information, please read the guidelines on safety in parks and forests.
Before you visit
Essentials to bring
- Drinking water
- A first-aid kit (including snake bite bandages), insect repellent and a mobile phone.
- Sturdy shoes, sunscreen, sunglasses, a hat and long-sleeved shirt.
For your safety, walk in Currimundi Lake (Kathleen McArthur) Conservation Park in daylight hours only.
Domestic animals are not permitted within Currimundi Lake (Kathleen McArthur) Conservation Park.
Climate and weather
The Sunshine Coast enjoys a mild, subtropical climate with an average daily temperature range of 21°C to 29°C in summer and 10°C to 21°C in winter. For more information see the tourism information links.
Fuel and supplies
The nearest fuel and supplies are available along Nicklin Way at Currimundi, a short drive from the park. For more information see the tourism information links.
- There are currently no park alerts for this park.