About Culgoa Floodplain
Coolibahs, black box and grasses flourish on the floodplain, brigalow and gidgee are found on the flat plains, and mulga and western bloodwood grow on red earth and stony ridges. The park is a birdwatcher's haven with more than 150 species including 10 honeyeaters, Australia's six species of woodswallow and beautiful parrots.
Stone tool scatters and cooking sites remind visitors that Aboriginal people have had a long association with this place. Relics of the pastoral and grazing industries are found throughout the park, which was formally Byra Station, with additional pastoral holdings added over the years.
Looking after the park
Help preserve this park's exceptional natural and cultural values by following these few common-sense rules:
- Leave everything as you find it. This includes plants, animals, rocks, ruins and artefacts.
- Leave your pets at home. Pets frighten wildlife, annoy other visitors, can become lost and are prohibited in the park.
- Take care with fire. Clear away any flammable material for a metre around campfires and ensure your fire is out before you leave.
- Bury toilet waste at least 15cm deep and 150m from any watercourse, bore or lake. Toilet paper is slow to break down in arid areas, so please burn toilet paper if it is safe to do so.
- Use fuel stoves to reduce the need for firewood. Wood provides homes for wildlife and nutrients for the soil.
- Please remove your rubbish from the park and leave campsites clean and tidy.
- Do not contaminate lakes and rivers with detergents, soap, shampoos or human waste.
- Drive only on declared roads indicated on the map and always wear seatbelts.
See the guidelines on caring for parks for more information about protecting our environment and heritage in parks.
The Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service manage this park under the Nature Conservation Act 1992.
Tourism information links
Balonne Shire Visitor Information Centre
114 The Terrace, St George Qld 4487
ph (07) 4620 8877
fax (07) 4625 4998
Cunnamulla Fella Information Centre
2 Jane Street, Cunnamulla Qld 4490
ph (07) 4655 8470
Dirranbandi Rural Transaction Centre
35 Railway Street, Dirranbandi Qld 4486
Ph (07) 46258411
For tourism information for all regions in Queensland see Queensland Holidays.
The natural, cultural and historical significance of Culgoa Floodplain
- There are currently no park alerts for this park.