Rainforest walk, Lake Barrine
Discover epiphyte-laden branches, look for musky-rat kangaroos in the undergrowth and listen for chowchillas as they forage on the forest floor in this World Heritage-listed rainforest.
- Journey type
- 600m one way A path where the start point is different to the finish point
- Time suggested
- Allow 15min walking time
- Grade 4 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
Rainforest walk starts on the entrance road into Lake Barrine and joins the Lake Barrine circuit track just past the twin kauris walk. Enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of the tropical rainforest on this short, but steep at times, walk.
Return along the track or, if you’re feeling adventurous, continue walking along the Lake Barrine circuit track.
Getting there and getting around
Rainforest walk is in the Lake Barrine section of Crater Lakes National Park, about 60km drive up the Gillies Range from Cairns.
Access roads are sealed and suitable for conventional vehicles.
- From Cairns, drive approximately 60km up Gillies Range Road, turn left on Lake Barrine Access Road and into the Lake Barrine car park. Alternatively, drive approximately 8km from Yungaburra township along the Gillies Range Road and turn right into Lake Barrine Access Road.
- Once parked, walk back along Lake Barrine Access Road, towards the Gillies entrance until you get to the trailhead of the Rainforest walk. Take care when walking on the road.
- The walking track starts on Lake Barrine Access Road.
- The track joins the Lake Barrine circuit track just past the twin kauris walk.
- Return along the same track or join the Lake Barrine circuit track.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities on this walk. The privately owned teahouse has ramps and wheelchair-accessible toilets.
Before you visit
Rainforest walk is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Temporary closure: Twin Kauris walking track, Lake Barrine, Crater Lakes National Park 8 June to 30 September 2022
- Upcoming works notification: Lake Eacham circuit track, Crater Lakes National Park 1 July to 31 August 2022