Searys Creek boardwalk
Meander along a boardwalk through paperbark woodlands to a tea-coloured creek for a cooling dip and some wildlife spotting.
- Journey type
- 200m return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 30min walking time.
- Grade 2 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
- Trail bike
- Picnic tables
- Toilets (non-flush)
From Seary's Creek day-use area, wind your way through a woodland of paperbarks to a creek surrounded by coral ferns. Refresh in the tea-coloured creek waters that have been filtered through the sands of the Cooloola sandmass. Look for flashes of blue and red of the ornate rainbowfish that live here. Also spot long-finned eels and freshwater catfish searching for shrimp and small fish on the creek bottom.
Admire the splashes of colour of wildflowers in bloom from late winter to early summer. Look for pink-flowering boronias, white-flowering blueberry ashes and golden banksias and wattles. Take your binoculars and spot friarbirds, kookaburras, honeyeaters and willy wagtails.
Refer to the Cooloola and Inskip recreation areas discovery guide for a map and more details.
Getting there and getting around
Seary's Creek boardwalk is in Cooloola Recreation Area, Great Sandy National Park, on the Sunshine Coast between Noosa Heads and Rainbow Beach (155–240km north of Brisbane).
- The boardwalk is on the northern section of Cooloola and starts from the Seary's Creek day-use area, near Rainbow Beach
- The boardwalk and day-use area are accessible by 2WD.
Getting to Rainbow Beach
- From Brisbane, drive about 160km north on the Bruce Highway towards Gympie. At the southern edge of Gympie, turn onto Tin Can Bay Road and drive 42km, then turn right onto Rainbow Beach Road.
- From Maryborough, drive 57km south on the Cooloola Coast Road, then turn left onto Tin Can Bay Road and drive 3.5km, then turn right onto Rainbow Beach Road.
- Drive 16km along Rainbow Beach Road and turn into the Seary's Creek day-use areacar park on your left.
From Rainbow Beach
- From the Rainbow Beach QPWS Information Centre, drive 7.5km on the Rainbow Beach Road to the Seary's Creek day-use area.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Seary's Creek boardwalk is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Marine turtles breeding season 1 November 2023 to 30 April 2024
- Cooloola Great Walk and Cooloola Wilderness Trail advanced booking restriction 1 November 2023 to 29 February 2024
- Poison canisters washing up on Southeast Queensland beaches 4 September 2023 to 31 March 2024
- Unstable sand cliffs and dunes along Rainbow and Teewah beaches 4 August 2023 to 31 January 2024
- Permanent fire prohibition on Teewah Beach 1 April 2021 to 11 April 2024
- Portable toilets mandatory for Teewah Beach camping zones 15 March 2022 to 31 January 2024