Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Camping areas for schools and large groups
Certain groups may be able to request a special account—group account, school account or commercial operator account—for booking camping.
Also see: Permits for special group accounts
If you are planning an organised use of a QPWS-managed area contact your local QPWS office to discuss your proposal.
- Organised event permits may be required for weddings and large, organised group activities, such as school excursions or adventure training.
- Maximum group sizes and other conditions may apply depending on the location you wish to use and the type of activity you are planning.
- It is recommended that group leaders view the Teachers' and group leaders' package for planning hints and safety information.
Visit maps and resources for other useful information.
Freshwater camping area: group areas
Features: Freshwater group camping offers large developed areas to accommodate school and other organised, non-school groups, within the Freshwater camping area area.
Location: 8km south of Double Island Point along Teewah Beach or approximately 40km north of 3rd cutting on the Noosa North Shore.
- Freshwater education group site: One large site for a maximum of 40 people. This site is for school or education based groups only and is not available during peak periods. Four car park spaces available.
- Freshwater (old group site): One large site for a maximum of 20 people. This site is for non-school and educational groups and is not available during peak periods. Five car park spaces available. Not suitable for camper trailers.
Access: The camping area can be accessed by 4WDs only via Freshwater Road from Rainbow Beach Road or Teewah Beach. Vehicle permits are required to access this camping area.
Suitable for: Tent camping
Facilities: Water (treat before use), flushing toilets, hot ($2 coins needed) and cold showers, rubbish bins and a pay phone. There is a 9pm noise curfew at this campground.
Open fires: Prohibited
Essentials: Fuel or gas stove, rubbish bags, $2 coins for camping area hot showers (NB: $2 buys 4mins of hot water), first-aid kit, insect repellent and sunscreen.
- Also see: things to know before you go
Mobile phone coverage: Not available. There is a pay phone opposite the amenities facility at the camping area.
Please note: schools and other organised groups are required to make advanced bookings online.
- Bribie Island and Cooloola recreation areas - vehicle access permits 1 June to 31 December 2020
- Attention Day Visitors 26 August to 1 December 2020
- Cooloola Wilderness Trail partially open 10 June 2020 to 15 July 2021
- Dislodged Rocks at Teewah Beach Camping Area 10 June 2020 to 31 May 2021
- Red Canyon closed 4 June to 30 October 2020