Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Great Sandy Information Centre
Find answers to all your questions, and then some, when you chat to our friendly visitor centre staff before setting out.
- Conventional vehicle
- Toilets (flush)
- Wheelchair access (may require assistance)
Drop into our Information Centre in Tewantin, near the Noosa River car ferry to Noosa North Shore, to find out all you need to know about Cooloola, Inskip Peninsulaand Fraser Island recreation areas. Chat to our friendly rangers during business hours or, if it’s busy (on weekends and public holidays) use one of the self-service computers for details about permits, advice on camping and tips on the best experiences.
If you visit after hours, check out the lit-display with information on camping and beach driving permits as well as displays of the latest Cooloola and Fraser Island conditions reports (detours and temporary closures and tide times for beach driving).
Getting there and getting around
Great Sandy Information Centre is in Tewantin, near the southern access to Cooloola Recreation Area, Great Sandy National Park on the Sunshine Coast between Noosa Heads and Rainbow Beach (155–240km north of Brisbane).
- The Great Sandy Information Centre is at 240 Moorindil Street in Tewantin, 200m from the Noosa River ferry, which provides access to Noosa North Shore and Teewah Beach.
- Commercial boat tours on the Noosa River operate from Noosa and Tewantin.
- For tourism information for all regions in Queensland, see Queensland.com, and for friendly advice on how to get there, where to stay and what to do, find your closest accredited visitor information centre.
Getting to Tewantin
- From Brisbane drive 135km north on the Bruce Highway or the Sunshine Motorway to Tewantin; or from Gympie drive 58km south and east on the Bruce Highway to Tewantin.
- In Tewantin, follow Moorindil Street to the Noosa River ferry, cross the river to Noosa North Shore, and drive 2.2km on Maximillian Road.
The information centre and toilet facilities are wheelchair accessible. No assistance is required
Before you visit
Great Sandy Information Centre is open 24 hours a day
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
For more safety information see Visiting Cooloola Recreation Area safely.
- Red Canyon closed 4 June to 30 October 2020
- Planned roadworks on Freshwater Road 1–8 July 2020
- Freshwater Lake access CLOSED 10 June to 10 August 2020
- Dislodged Rocks at Teewah Beach Camping Area 10 June 2020 to 31 May 2021
- Cooloola Wilderness Trail temporary closures 10 June to 30 August 2020
- Bribie Island and Cooloola recreation areas - vehicle access permits 1 June to 31 July 2020