Cooloola Recreation Area, Great Sandy National Park Sunshine Coast

Four-wheel drive past towering coastal sand cliffs and coloured sands in the paradise of Cooloola Recreation Area. Photo credit: © Tomek Z Genek

Be inspired: 5 tech challenges for getting teens outdoors in Sunshine Coast parks

We get it. Dragging your teens and tweens away from their technology and into the great outdoors can be difficult, if not downright impossible. Photo credit: © Lise Pedersen

Be inspired: Cooloola offers a family-sized camping adventure with ‘the lot’!

Chances are, if you’ve heard of Cooloola, you might know it as the sandy beach highway between Rainbow Beach and Noosa, the mecca of four-wheel drivers and fishers. Photo credit: © Lachlan Gardiner

Be inspired: Explore the Sunshine and Fraser coasts—your go-to weekend escapes!

They’re renowned for surf and sun-drenched beaches, and deservedly-so, but take a closer look and you’ll find the Sunshine and Fraser coasts have so much more in store! Photo credit: Adam Creed © Queensland Government

Be inspired: Queensland National Parks’ best-loved camping areas

We are truly a nation of coast dwellers, so when it comes to camping holidays, where do we head? To the water, of course! Photo credit: © Tourism and Events Queensland

Be inspired: Short walks for the family around south east Queensland

Walking in Queensland National Parks is a fun way to be healthier and happier, and to share special times with family and friends. Photo credit: Greg Cartwright | © Queensland Government

Frequently asked questions

    Cooloola Recreation Area—boundaries

    Cooloola is still part of the Great Sandy National Park (along with K'gari (Fraser Island)), but is managed under the Recreation Areas Management Act 2006 with the Cooloola Recreation Area boundaries overlaying the national park estate, plus other areas outside the national park, including beach areas down to the low water mark.

    Be aware that vehicle access permits (VAPs) are required for traversing beach areas and some inland tracks. Penalties apply for non-compliance.

    What areas does the Recreation Area Management declaration cover?

    The area stretches from Noosa North Shore to Rainbow Beach and covers 61,750ha. It includes national park, various State and local government-managed areas, road tenure and the beaches and esplanade lands, and other lands exposed at low tide—down to the low water mark.

    The recreation area does not include Noosa Shire Council freehold land, any privately-owned freehold land or sections of the Great Sandy National Park that occur south of the Noosa River.

    Cooloola Recreation Area—management

    What has changed with declaration of Recreation Area Management?

    • Declaration of the recreation area does not change the current tenure, ownership or use of the lands included in the area. The recreation area lies over the land and existing legislation, allowing for nature-based recreation opportunities and coordinated management.
    • Vehicle access permits are required to access the beaches and some tracks in the Cooloola Recreation Area. See Cooloola and Inskip recreation areas discovery guide (PDF, 4.7MB) .
    • Permanent residents who must access the recreation area to get to their residence and their relatives, landholders and people accessing the recreation area for employment, including people who run educational excursions, can apply for a fee-exempt vehicle access permit (DOCX, 161.6KB) , nominating their vehicle.
    • The beach between first and third cuttings on the Noosa North Shore at the southern end of Teewah Beach is closed; drivers are required to use the inland bitumen bypass road. See map of this area (PDF, 1.6MB) (refer to page 2).
    • Dogs are prohibited from sections of the beach adjacent to the national park and from important migratory and roosting shorebird areas.
    • A dog-friendly section of the beach is provided from ‘first cutting’ to the northern edge of Teewah Village. See things to know before you go.

    Why do we need a new structure of management?

    Previously, Cooloola’s level of protection did not extend below the high water mark. Many of the impacts involving vehicle use, visitors with dogs and camping occur on the beach and inter-tidal areas outside the national park.

    The declaration of the Cooloola Recreation Area provides the framework for improved safety and better conservation. It also provides for a coordinated management approach to issues and activities across land tenures and levels of government—for example, the recreation area includes national park lands, areas managed by other State and local government organisations, roads, esplanade, the beaches and other lands exposed at low tide—down to the low water mark.

    What are the benefits to visitors of Cooloola as a recreation area?

    Benefits of the Cooloola Recreation Area include:

    • funding for improved day use, camping and recreational facilities, roads, beach access and signage
    • improved conservation and visitor management
    • having a ‘one-stop shop’ to access permits and park information
    • coordinated safety management for beach driving and public health issues across land tenures
    • equitable and sustainable use and access for commercial tour operators
    • sustainable tourism and recreation to the area leading to long-term conservation and patronage for local businesses
    • improved communication materials, signage, brochures and web page material.

    Who manages the recreation area?

    The Cooloola Recreation Area is managed by the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service, in partnership with the Gympie and Noosa Shire Councils.

    Are there any other recreation areas in Queensland?

    There are six other recreation areas in Queensland: K'gari (Fraser Island), Green Island, Mulgumpin (Moreton Island), Bribie Island, Minjerribah (North Stradbroke Island) and Inskip Peninsula.

    Where does the revenue from the recreation area go?

    All revenue generated by the Cooloola Recreation Area is re-invested into the area to provide better visitor facilities and services.

    Priority infrastructure projects for Cooloola include:

    • expanding the Freshwater camping area
    • upgrades to internal roads that provide access to the beach
    • dune stabilisation and formalised access to camping sites
    • more permit issuing centres and additional options to obtain permits online
    • waste refuse and disposal facilities management.

    Completed infrastructure projects and ongoing services include:

    • improved signs and visitor guides
    • upgrade to the Freshwater camping area amenities—that is improving overall sanitation and human waste disposal
    • planning for upgrade of facilities at upper Noosa River camp sites 1–3, and Fig Tree Point camping and day-use area, with upgrades expected to be completed by mid 2013
    • increased ranger patrols, and better co-ordination with Queensland Police Service and other agencies to ensure visitors have a safe and enjoyable stay.

    Domestic animals

    Can I bring my pets into Cooloola?

    Domestic animals are not permitted in the Cooloola Recreation Area, except under permit or authority, including travelling in vehicles, vessels and trailers through the recreation area.

    See before you visit for further information on permitted areas for pets.


    What sort of vehicle is suitable to drive in Cooloola?

    High clearance, four-wheel-drive vehicles* with low range functions are strongly recommended. Most all-wheel-drive vehicles, even with low range, do not have the clearance needed for Cooloola’s tracks and beach areas.

    Only fully road-registered vehicles and motorcycles are permitted on the roads and tracks within Cooloola. Drivers must be licensed and all Queensland road rules apply.

    Conditionally-registered vehicles, such as trail bikes and four-wheeled motorbikes (ATVs), are NOT permitted.

    All vehicles are required to stay on designated roads and vehicle tracks, and must not be driven on or over vegetation including that of the foredunes. Obey all speed limits, signs and barriers.

    * In prolonged wet or dry conditions, drivers of cars with low clearance or those towing trailers will experience great difficulties and can get stuck. Bogged vehicles can take hours to recover and can cause long traffic delays. Don't risk getting bogged—always check road and track conditions before driving into the park.

    Do I need to pay any fees to drive on the beach or any inland tracks in Cooloola?

    Yes. Vehicle access permits and fees apply in designated areas (PDF, 1.6MB) .

    For more information see:

    How do I find out about beach or track conditions?

    Seek local advice and check out up-to-date information in the Cooloola conditions report (PDF, 629.4KB) to better plan trips and avoid delays. This is updated every fortnight or sooner depending on the urgency of the condition changes.

    Do road rules apply in Cooloola?

    Yes. The beach and all vehicular access tracks are public thoroughfare roads and all Queensland road rules apply. Police patrol Cooloola’s beaches and tracks and can do speed checks and breath tests at any time of the day or night.

    Generally, unless otherwise signed, speeds are:

    • 80km/hr on beaches
    • 50km/hr along beach camping areas
    • 20km/hr on inland roads
    • 10–20km/hr within camping areas

    Observe all speed signs.

    When is the best time to travel on the beach?

    The best time to drive is around low tide. Avoid driving during the two hours either side of high tide, and often for longer, because some areas are more affected than others by tidal activity and onshore winds. Read more about driving safety (PDF, 2.3MB) and print off the Driving on sand safety guide (PDF, 2.3MB) to take with you when you visit. Drivers are advised to be cautious and drive to track conditions. Slow is safe!

    Take care when driving around Mudlo Rocks near Rainbow Beach. This should only be attempted at low tide by experienced drivers. Be prepared; these rocks may be impassable, even at low tide. Understand the risks and turn back and travel via an alternative route.

    If travelling between Rainbow Beach and Teewah Beach, check the Leisha Track's northern entrance on the Cooloola conditions report (PDF, 629.4KB) before heading off. This entrance is constantly affected by tides and swells. It can be eroded to a condition where access is restricted to low tide only, or perhaps impassable.

    Protect turtles during breeding season

    Endangered marine turtles use this beach as a nesting and hatching site for between November and April each year. If you encounter turtles leaving the water and crossing the beach, laying their eggs or hatchlings emerging do not interfere – watch quietly from a few meters away and never touch turtles or hatchlings

    Help protect marine turtles:

    • Drive slowly on the beach and avoid driving over nests.
    • Keep to the wet sand below the high tide mark to avoid making wheel ruts that may hinder the movement of hatchlings.
    • Never drive or park on the dunes and use established tracks to access campsites.
    • During breeding season avoid driving on the beach at night and using bright lights between 6pm and 6am.

    Fines may apply to visitors disturbing turtle hatchlings or turtle nests.

    To report a sick, injured or dead marine turtle phone 1300 130 372.

    What is the operating time for the Noosa River ferry?

    Ferry operates generally between 5.30am to 10pm daily. Operating hours may vary over weekends and holiday periods. For confirmation and ferry prices contact:

    How do I access the beach at Noosa North Shore?

    From the Noosa River ferry, follow the bitumen road along Maximillian Road, and turn a sharp right onto Beach Road. There are 2 beach access points along Beach Road onto Teewah Beach.

    Warning! Beach access points can be soft and rough and are only suitable for high clearance four-wheel drives. Improved driving conditions are experienced at low tide. This will reduce damage to vehicles and the environment. Please read the Driving on sand safety guide (PDF, 2.3MB) for further information and driving tips.

    Is there anywhere I can't drive?

    Pay attention to information in the Cooloola Recreation Area visitor guide (PDF, 4.7MB) and this website. Stay alert to and obey any notices, signs and/or barriers that restrict access.

    Never enter these restricted areas:

    • the 2.5km of beach between first and third cuttings on the Noosa North Shore
    • beach area at the mouth of the Noosa River—this is a shorebird nesting area
    • Double Island Point Regional Park, including the lighthouse—this area is accessible on foot only
    • all beach foredunes, except on defined vehicle tracks within the Teewah Beach camping area
    • all other areas that are not defined public access tracks, including restricted management access tracks and bushland.
    • See Cooloola Recreation area map (PDF, 1.6MB) .

    Can I access Harrys camping and day-use area or Poverty Point camping area in a 2WD vehicle?

    No. Harrys Hut Road and Poverty Point access road are recommended for high clearance 4WD vehicles only. These roads are generally sand (with some gravel sections on Harrys Hut Road). Washouts and potholes are common. Be aware that sections of these roads are prone to flooding. Check the latest information about road and track conditions in the Cooloola Conditions Report (PDF, 629.4KB) . Vehicle access permits are not required when traversing Harrys Hut Road and Poverty Point access road.

    How can I access the upper Noosa River?

    Most sites on the upper Noosa River have river access only, except for Harrys camping and day-use area. For information on canoe and kayak hire, water taxis and river cruises contact:

    Vehicle access permits

    How much does a vehicle access permit cost?

    See vehicle access permit fees.

    How do I book my vehicle access permit?

    Are there any beaches visitors can drive on without a permit?

    Yes, the beach from Rainbow Beach Township to Middle Rocks is outside the recreation area and therefore does NOT require a vehicle permit. Inskip Peninsula Recreation Area does not require vehicle access permits.

    Vehicle access permits are needed only for designated tracks and beaches in the Cooloola Recreation Area (see map of this area (PDF, 1.6MB) , refer to page 2).

    Are any sections of beach closed to vehicles?

    Drivers are required to use a bypass road behind the beach between 1st and 3rd cuttings on the Noosa North Shore at the southern end of Teewah Beach (see map of this area (PDF, 1.6MB) , refer to page 2). This provides a 2.5km vehicle-free section of beach in front of the popular Noosa North Shore Camping Reserve for families to enjoy the beach without any risk of vehicle accidents. The Noosa River mouth is closed to vehicles to protect nesting and roosting shorebirds.

    Where in Cooloola will I need to have a vehicle access permit?

    Vehicle access permits are required for the following areas:

    • from north head of the Noosa River to Middle Rocks south east of Rainbow Beach
    • inland along the Freshwater Road between Bymien and the beach
    • inland along Kings Bore Circuit track (also known locally as Pettigrews Road, and the eastern and western firebreaks)
    • inland from the Kings Bore Circuit track (also known locally as Pettigrews Road, and the eastern and western firebreaks)
    • the Leisha track.

    Vehicle permits are not required for:

    • 3km of the unsealed Freshwater Road from Rainbow Beach Road turnoff to Bymien picnic area
    • Cooloola Way
    • Harry’s Hut Road
    • 4WD track to Poverty Point camping area
    • any privately owned freehold land
    • sections of Great Sandy National Park south of the Noosa River
    • Inskip Peninsula Recreation Area.

    View the Cooloola Recreation Area map (PDF, 1.6MB) .

    What if I have to drive through the recreation area to get to my property? Will I have to pay for a vehicle permit?

    No, but residents must apply for a fee-exempt vehicle permit to access their properties by going through the recreation area. Obtain an application form online (DOCX, 161.6KB) or from a Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) office.

    Who else is eligible for a fee-exempt vehicle permit?

    Permanent residents who must access the recreation area to get to their residence and their relatives, landholders and people accessing the recreation area for employment, including people who run educational excursions, can apply for a fee-exempt vehicle access permit, nominating their vehicle. Applicants must meet eligibility criteria.

    A 'Fee exemption for vehicle access permits on QPWS-managed recreation areas' application form must be completed and returned. These are available online (DOCX, 161.6KB) or from a QPWS office. For more details download the ‘Fee exemptions for vehicle access permits on QPWS managed recreation areas’ information sheet (PDF, 187.1KB) .

    24hr surveillance cameras in use

    Why are there surveillance cameras in the Cooloola Recreation area?

    All vehicles entering and exiting the recreation area may have their vehicle number plates recorded. Vehicle registration details are checked against the Queensland National Parks Booking Service and a Penalty Infringement Notice (PIN) will be issued to the registered owner of any vehicle that does not have a valid vehicle access permit.

    A penalty of $206 applies for entering a recreation area without a valid vehicle access permit. This amount will increase each financial year from 1 July. To avoid receiving a PIN, ensure you purchase a vehicle access permit before entering the recreation area.

    All camera footage obtained will be stored securely and only be viewed and accessed by authorised persons. The footage is retained in accordance with the Public Records Act 2002, which in most cases is 30–90 days, unless it is required for official purposes, or as a retained public record. For further information on our privacy and security practices visit the privacy page on the department's website. For more information see:


    For detailed information about each camping area in the Cooloola Recreation Area, see the camping page.

    Where can I camp?

    In designated camping areas only. Keep groups small; large groups have more environmental impact and can adversely affect the experience of other visitors. Organised event permits may be required for large groups.

    Do I need to book?

    Yes definitely. Advance bookings are required at all camping areas in Cooloola*. NB: reserving or roping off areas is not permitted.

    *Be aware that vehicle access permits are required for access roads or beach areas into some camping areas in the Cooloola Recreation Area. If camping overnight, campers must purchase two daily vehicle access permits or a weekly vehicle access permits.

    Can I change my booking?

    Yes, in some instances. Bookings may be altered, subject to availability, if sufficient notice is given. Bookings can be cancelled but you may not be entitled to a refund. You can try to modify your booking online, or contact a QPWS office for further information.

    Am I entitled to a refund?

    In most cases a refund will not be available. If a refund is permitted and the booking needs to be cancelled or modified down from its original amount, a gift card can be created. This gift card is valid for up to 36 months and can be used towards new bookings for camping and vehicle access permits. Refer to the Camping and vehicle access permit fee and gift card refunds operational policy (PDF, 128.8KB) for details.

    Instead of getting a refund, can I choose an alternative camping area or dates?

    Yes, provided the application to change the details is made before the start of the refund notification period.

    Will I receive a refund if the park is closed or access is unsafe?

    Yes, visitors would be eligible for a full refund on the unused balance of a camping permit, or an alternative location or dates may be selected.

    Can I pay the ranger?

    No. Rangers cannot issue permits in the field. Permits must be purchased before setting up a camp site or driving into the Cooloola Recreation Area.

    Where can I collect a visitor guide and camping tag?

    An online permit tag is generated once the booking is receipted. Print off the tag and display it prominently at the camp site, following the instructions as outlined on the tag.

    If you are unable to obtain an online permit tag you can collect one from nominated over-the-counter camping and vehicle access permit booking offices or from the information shelters at most parks or forests.

    In the Cooloola Recreation Area, visitor guides and camping tags can be collected from:

    • QPWS Rainbow Beach office, Rainbow Beach Road, Rainbow Beach
    • QPWS Great Sandy Information Centre, 240 Moorindil Street, Tewantin
    • Freshwater camping area entrance (camping tags only; no visitors guides at this site)
    • QPWS display shelter at Elanda Point canoe launch and car park
    • Kinaba Information Centre
    • QPWS display shelter at Harrys camping and day-use area (canoe launch car park).

    How long can I stay?

    Maximum length of stay is 29 nights at:

    • Teewah Beach camping area
    • Poverty Point camping area
    • Freshwater camping area.

    Maximum length of stay is 21 nights at:

    • Fig Tree Point camping and day-use area
    • Harrys camping and day-use area
    • upper Noosa River camp sites 1–15
    • Wandi and Neebs waterhole camping areas (Cooloola Wilderness Trail).

    Maximum length of stay is one night at:

    • All Cooloola Great Walk camp sites.

    If I exceed the maximum length of stay will I be directed to move?


    What if I don’t know how long I want to stay?

    During busy periods, it is best to book ahead and get permits for the entire duration of the stay, and for all of the people who will be camping. If the camping area is full, or fills up during the stay, all bookings will be closed. If deciding to stay longer during a busy period, or have extra people stay at the camp site, it will not be possible to extend the permit and visitors will be asked to leave. Remember, it is essential to have a valid permit at all times. Don’t wait until after the permit has expired—penalties and/or eviction apply.

    Can I set up camp and wait for the ranger to issue a permit?

    No. Rangers cannot issue permits in the field. Permits are required before setting up camp. Penalties apply.

    Can I reserve a camping area for a friend?

    No. Campers may not reserve, fence off or rope off any areas under any circumstances.

    Where can I camp with a school or organised group?

    A maximum of 1 group* at any one time can camp at the following group sites:

    • Freshwater group camping area (education group site): maximum 40 people (schools only)
    • Freshwater group camping area (old group site): maximum 20 people (non-school groups only)
    • Harrys camping and day-use area (group camping area): maximum 60 people
    • Camp site 3: maximum 25 people
    • Fig Tree Point camping and day-use area: maximum 25 people
    • Neebs Waterhole camping area: maximum 25 people
    • Wandi Waterhole camping area: maximum 25 people.

    Check camping availability before making any arrangements or bookings, especially for the more popular sites—camp site 3, Fig Tree Point, Neebs Waterhole and Wandi Waterhole.

    Also see:

    For general enquiries, contact or visit the Great Sandy Information Centre, 240 Moorindil Street, Tewantin.

    * Please note that large groups of people have more environmental impact and can adversely affect the experience of other visitors. Don’t monopolise facilities, stay within the camp site's boundaries and observe quiet time between 9pm and 7am.

    Organised event permits may be required for large groups, depending on what the event is and the intended activities.

    Are there any powered sites?

    No power is available. This means there are no power sockets in the amenities blocks for any electrical appliances, including hairdryers, shavers or asthma pumps.

    Can I take a generator?

    No. Generators are prohibited in most of Cooloola. However, generators no louder than 65 decibels (2.0Kva) can be used at Teewah Beach camping area and can only be operated between 7am and 9pm.

    Is drinking water available?

    For safety reasons, all water collected from Cooloola must be treated before drinking*. Pack water treatment tablets or boil water for at least 5–10 minutes. Preferably, bring drinking water. On Teewah Beach, never drink, cook with, swim in or bathe with water collected from creeks, pools or sub-surface flows. Noosa River water is not suitable for drinking*.

    Always treat water collected from taps or water bodies at these sites, before drinking. Treat water with sterilisation tablets or by boiling it for 5–10 minutes.

    Untreated tap water is available at:

    • Freshwater day-use area
    • Fig Tree Point day-use area
    • Harrys day-use area.

    Natural water bodies:

    • Neebs and Wandi waterholes (along the Cooloola Wilderness Trail)
    • River camp sites (upper Noosa River)*.

    * The upper Noosa River between Lake Cootharaba and Lake Como is generally brackish (partly salty) water and not suitable for drinking.

    On Teewah Beach, can I use a water or sand spear to get water from underground?

    No, this interferes with a natural resource, which is an offence, and QPWS cannot guarantee the quality of the water.

    The use of portable sand spears to collect sub-surface water from the foredune areas is not permitted. The quality of fresh water obtained from pools, creeks or sub-surface supplies on Teewah Beach cannot be assured and is not suitable for drinking, cooking, showering or swimming. Teewah Beach campers should collect water from the beach camper service bay at Freshwater, opposite the day-use area.

    Where are suitable camp sites for camper trailers?

    Camp sites suitable for off-road camper trailers are available at Harrys camping area, Freshwater camping area, Teewah Beach camping area and Poverty Point camping area. See the camping page for more information about these areas.

    Soft sand conditions make towing a caravan extremely difficult in Cooloola. Some inland tracks are not suitable for caravans.

    Do I need to bring a portable toilet?

    Yes, if you are camping at Teewah Beach where portable toilets are mandatory. We also recommend bringing a portable toilet when camping away from facilities such as at Poverty Point, upper Noosa River camp sites 4–15 and Wandi and Neebs waterholes camping areas.

    For campers convenience, portable toilet waste disposal facilities are located at:

    • Second cutting, Noosa North Shore.
    • Freshwater day-use area, (beach camper service bay)
    • Clarkson Drive, Rainbow Beach.

    Are there are public toilets and showers in Cooloola?

    Yes, public toilets and showers are located at:

    • Freshwater camping area (bring $2 coins for hot showers; NB: $2 buys 4mins of hot water)
    • Freshwater day-use area and beach camper service bay (free, cold water outdoor showers).

    Public toilets are located at:

    • Double Island Point
    • Bymien picnic area
    • Searys Creek
    • Kinaba Information Centre
    • Fig Tree Point day-use area
    • Harrys camping and day-use area
    • upper Noosa River camp sites 1–3.

    There are no public toilets in the Teewah Beach camping area, Poverty Point camping area, upper Noosa River camp sites 4–15 and Wandi or Neebs waterholes camping areas.

    If bush toileting is necessary, bury all faecal matter and toilet paper in a hole at least 50cm deep and at least 50m from watercourses, tracks and camp sites at Poverty Point or 100m from watercourses, tracks and camp sites along the upper Noosa River, Cooloola Wilderness Trail and along the Cooloola Great Walk. Bag all tampons, sanitary items, disposable nappies and cigarette butts and remove from the recreation area.

    Where can I dispose of my rubbish?

    Bins are not generally provided. Please take rubbish home. Bulk rubbish bins are only located in the Teewah Beach camping area and near the entrance to Freshwater camping area. Keep rubbish in sealable containers until it can be placed in a bin. Do not burn rubbish or hang rubbish bags from trees or tents.


    Are fires permitted?

    Campfires are only permitted in the Poverty Point camping area in QPWS provided fire rings, except when fire prohibitions or total fire bans are in place. Never leave your campfire unattended and completely extinguish with water, not sand, when leaving the camp site or retiring for the night.

    Bring fire starters and clean firewood, such as untreated mill off-cuts, not bush wood as it is illegal to collect wood from the recreation area or the national park, including leaves and twigs for kindling. Penalties apply.

    Campfires are prohibited in all other areas in the Cooloola Recreation Area including Teewah Beach camping zones.

    How can I cook without a fire?

    Fuel stoves and off-ground self-contained appliances (Oz-pig style cookers) using manufactured fuels are great alternatives for cooking and heating.

    During a QPWS fire prohibition only cooking and heating appliances that meet below requirements are permitted (unless a QFES total fire ban is in place).

    • The appliance must use gas or manufactured fuel (heat beads, briquettes). Manufactured fuel does not include timber or wood.
    • It must be used only for cooking and/or heating.
    • It must be a minimum of 20cm off the ground and more than 2m from flammable materials, which includes vegetation.
    • It must not have the potential to generate airborne embers, or possibly ignite nearby ground fuels.
    • It must be fully self-contained (heat source enclosed and no exposed flame) and never left unattended when in use.
    • Appliances that are not fully self-contained, such as braziers, are not permitted.
    • All appliances, materials and burnt fuel must be removed from the recreation area on your departure.

    Canoeing on the upper Noosa River

    Where can I launch my canoe?

    Canoe launching is available within Cooloola at Elanda Point and Harrys camping and day-use area. Car parks are nearby. Please note that secure parking is not available.

    When is the best time to canoe across Lake Cootharaba?

    Plan to travel in the morning as strong winds often occur in the afternoon and can make the river and Lake Cootharaba rough to cross. Paddle close to the shore and stay clear of channel markers to allow a clear path for powerboats. Never canoe alone in case of an emergency, and tell someone responsible about the itinerary, destination and expected arrival time. Carry safety equipment including a lifejacket and communication devices, such as a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB).

    What are the approximate canoeing distances and times?

    There are many canoeing opportunities on the upper Noosa River.


    Where can I launch my boat?

    On the upper Noosa River, boats on trailers can be launched at boat ramps at Boreen Point and Tewantin. There are no boat launching facilities at Harrys camping and day-use area. Boat ramps are located further downstream at Tewantin and Noosaville.

    Along coastal areas, boats on trailers can be launched at boat ramps at Carlo Point north of Rainbow Beach and at Norman Point, Tin Can Bay.

    Where can I travel in my boat?

    All Maritime Safety Queensland rules apply on Cooloola’s inland and adjacent coastal waters.

    In the upper Noosa River, motorised vessels are permitted as far as Camp site 3 in the upper Noosa River. Only electric motors and non-motorised vessels are permitted past this point. Sailboat masts should be lowered before entering the upper Noosa River due to overhanging branches. No-landing zones are located between Fig Tree Lake and Harrys camping and day-use area. Please use jetties provided.

    Coastal waters north of Double Island Point (including the headland) and Tin Can Bay Inlet are protected within the Great Sandy Marine Park and regulations apply.


    Can I swim in the upper Noosa River?

    Swimming is not recommended for the following reasons:

    • the river and lakes are not patrolled
    • bull sharks are common in the river system
    • submerged obstacles, including logs, are very common
    • water near the riverbank is often shallow.

    Can I swim in the ocean?

    A patrolled swimming beach is located in front of the Rainbow Beach township. Check signs for patrol times. However, swimming is not recommended in lakes or the ocean other than this patrolled beach. People have suffered serious injuries and death in water-related accidents in Cooloola.


    Am I allowed to fish in the upper Noosa River?

    Yes. However, to reduce the chance of harming any freshwater turtles or eels, QPWS recommends the use of lures rather than live bait, bait traps and crab pots. For more information visit Fisheries Queensland, Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (DAF). Note the annual Queensland closed season for bass is 1 June to 31 August.

    Fishing in Searys Creek is prohibited under a regulatory notice.

    What influence does the tide play in the upper Noosa river?

    Tide enters and exits Lake Cootharaba once each day, approximately 5 hours after affecting the Noosa River mouth. These fluctuations have minimal impact on the upper Noosa River waters, which are generally fresh but may become brackish depending on recent rainfall.

    Am I allowed to fish from the beach?

    Yes. Fishing is popular along Teewah Beach, Rainbow Beach and at Double Island Point. On the beach, all rubbish from fish cleaning, including offal, scales and unused bait, should be buried at least 30cm deep below the high tide line.

    Bag limits and size restrictions apply to some fish species. Contact Fisheries Queensland for rules and guidelines.

    Some waters surrounding northern Cooloola are protected within the Great Sandy Marine Park.

    If fishing at night, wear high-visibility vests and use glow sticks to alert drivers on the beach. Stay out of traffic lanes and keep children close by.


    What walking tracks are available?

    Cooloola offers walking tracks ranging from short, easy strolls to half and full-day walks and extended overnight adventures.

    Where can I find out more about the Cooloola Great Walk?

    Find out more about the Cooloola Great Walk.

    In an emergency

    Will my mobile phone have reception?

    Mobile phone reception is limited and unreliable. A Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) can be helpful in an emergency and is highly recommended.

    Who should I contact in the event of an emergency?

    Phone Triple Zero (000) for all life threatening, critical or serious emergencies, and for reporting a bushfire or acts of arson.

    What about planning for a natural disaster?

    Always be prepared for disaster and check weather warnings before heading off. Tsunami, cyclones and extremely high tides may occur in coastal areas. Visit the Bureau of Meteorology website for weather forecasts or tsunami updates. Tune into a local radio station for weather warnings.

    For comprehensive information on preparing for floods, cyclones, tsunami and severe storms visit Queensland Disaster Management Services.