Kookaburra Cave track
Enjoy a short stroll to this cave adorned with intricate carvings and rich ochre stencils, including one resembling a kookaburra.
- Journey type
- 1.7km return return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 45min walking time.
- Grade 3 walking track
- High clearance 4WD
This short walk off the Mount Moffatt circuit drive will transport you back to a time when the Bidjara Aboriginal people recorded their stories here. Unlike other Aboriginal art sites in the park, this cave is mostly decorated with intricate carvings. From the elevated boardwalk, look carefully at the white sandstone faces of the cave for the often-subtle engravings, carved in the soft rock by stone and bone tools.
A swathe of rich ochre stencils also adorns the limestone overhang—one of which resembles a kookaburra. It is this piece of artwork that gave the cave its name. Can you find it on the wall of artwork?
Getting there and getting around
Kookaburra Cave track is in the Mount Moffatt section of Carnarvon National Park in central Queensland's Sandstone Wilderness, about 220km north of Mitchell.
- The Kookaburra Cave track starts at a pull-off area along the Mount Moffatt circuit drive, 17.5km from the park entrance.
To reach Mount Moffatt from Mitchell, drive 220km north on an unsealed road via Womblebank Station. If you are travelling from Injune, drive 160km north-west via Womblebank Station or Westgrove Station. High-clearance 4WDs are recommended and are essential to get around the park. There are no roads from Mount Moffatt direct to the other sections of the park.
- Read 4WD with care for important information on 4WD safety and minimal impact driving.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Kookaburra Cave track is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Carnarvon Great Walk closed due to planned burns from 18 July to 30 July, 2022. 21 June to 30 July 2022
- Roadworks at High Country Drive, Mt Moffatt - closure of camping area 7–30 June 2022