Park is closed
Top Shelter Shed
You’ll feel on top of the world when you take a break at this picturesque picnic area, encircled in never-ending views.
- High clearance 4WD
- Lookout (natural)
- Picnic tables (some sheltered)
- Photo credit: Raelene Neilson © Queensland Government
- Photo credit: Robert Ashdown © Queensland Government
Perfectly perched at the level of the old surface of the Buckland Volcano, you can relax and recharge after your 4WD adventure on the High Country drive. Sip a soothing cuppa as you soak up spectacular views in the far distance of the vertical cliffs of Tyson's Nugget—a plug of rhyolite that penetrated the surrounding basalt towards the end of the volcano’s life.
This range country collects water through a network of creeks and feeds it into the Comet and Maranoa rivers. Not far from here, and in stark contrast to the bushland in the rest of the park, you’ll see tall mahogany forests dotted with ancient cycads.
Getting there and getting around
Top Shelter Shed is in the Mount Moffatt section of Carnarvon National Park in central Queensland's Sandstone Wilderness, about 220km north of Mitchell.
- Top Shelter Shed is 12km along the Consuelo Tablelands Drive, which starts 22km from the park entrance on the Mount Moffatt circuit drive.
To reach Mount Moffatt from Mitchell, drive 220km north on an unsealed road via Womblebank Station. If you are travelling from Injune, drive 160km north-west via Womblebank Station or Westgrove Station. High-clearance 4WDs are recommended and are essential to get around the park. There are no roads from Mount Moffatt direct to the other sections of the park.
- Read 4WD with care for important information on 4WD safety and minimal impact driving.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Top Shelter Shed is open 24 hours a day
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
For more safety information see Visiting Mount Moffatt safely.
- Mount Moffatt section of Carnarvon National Park closed due to wildfire. 20–31 October 2021