Big Bend walkers' camp (Great Walk)
Recharge after a hard day's walk with a peaceful night beside the creek beneath towering sandstone walls of the gorge.
Camping area facilities
- Toilets (non-flush)
- Tent camping
- Long walk to tent
Reward the day’s efforts by kicking off your hiking boots and settling back at this quiet camping area near Carnarvon Creek. The first section of the Carnarvon Great Walk and the Main Gorge track end here.
Escape the heat beside a natural pool in an elbow of the gorge, with sweeping sandstone walls as a perfect backdrop. Sit in the shade of lanky spotted gums to watch catfish and turtles in the creek. Don’t be tempted to join them though—you can’t swim here. Spot some of the park’s many birds and, after dark, spotlight for gliders, possums and owls in the trees.
Getting there and getting around
Big Bend walkers' camp (Great Walk) is in Carnarvon National Park, in central Queensland's Sandstone Wilderness, about 720km north-west of Brisbane and 400km west of Gladstone.
- One of five walkers' camps along the Carnarvon Great Walk, Big Bend walkers' camp is 9.7km from the Carnarvon Gorge visitor area in the Carnarvon Gorge section of the park, half way between Emerald and Roma.
- You can access the Carnarvon Great Walk from the Carnarvon Gorge visitor area, 5.9km by road from the park entrance in the Carnarvon Gorge section, or the West Branch camping area, 25km from the park entrance in the Mount Moffatt section of the park.
- To reach Carnarvon Gorge from Roma, drive 90km north to Injune then a further 160km along the Carnarvon Highway to the Carnarvon Gorge turn-off. If you are travelling from Emerald, drive 65km south to Springsure then 70km east to Rolleston, and a further 61km along the Carnarvon Highway to the Carnarvon Gorge turn-off. From here, the 45km road to the park entrance is sealed.
- To reach Mount Moffatt from Mitchell, drive 220km north on an unsealed road via Womblebank Station. If you are travelling from Injune, drive 160km north-west via Womblebank Station or Westgrove Station. High-clearance 4WDs are recommended and are essential to get around the park. There are no roads from Mount Moffatt direct to the other sections of the park.
- Read 4WD with care for important information on 4WD safety and minimal impact driving.
Before you visit
Big Bend walkers' camp (Great Walk) is open 24 hours a day. Check-in to your camp after 2pm and check-out by 11am on the day of departure.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
Walkers’ camp features: Grassy creek flat set among Carnarvon fan palms on the edge of a major bend in Carnarvon Creek. Tent sites are dispersed through the area and the area is well shaded.
Location: Big Bend is 600 m past Cathedral Cave and 500 m beyond Boowinda Gorge. It is 10 km from the Carnarvon Gorge information centre, where you can get walking track information.
Access: The walkers’ camp is only accessible by foot.
Number of sites: There are no designated or numbered sites. The maximum group size is six people and the camping area has capacity for 10 people maximum.
Campsites are suitable for: walk-in camping.
Campsite surface: Grass.
Facilities: Water (must be treated before drinking), composting hybrid toilet system.
Open fires: Prohibited—fuel or gas stoves only.
Generators: Not permitted.
Essentials to bring: Fuel or gas stove, water treatment tablets or purification kit, insect repellent, washing up basin, ground sheet to place under your tent to prevent wear, warm clothes and wet weather gear. Read more about before you visit.
Bookings: book online or learn about our camping booking options. Book in advance for all weekends, public holidays and school holidays.
Mobile phone coverage: Nil. For emergency communication advice, see Walk safely.
Upcoming camping area availability
For more safety information see Visiting Carnarvon Great Walk safely and camp with care.
- There are currently no park alerts for this park.