About Cardwell State Forest
Cardwell State Forest consists of a mix of native vegetation types and pine plantations. Cardwell Forest Drive is one of the key features of the Cardwell State Forest and offers a range of spectacular scenery and waterholes. There are four nodes along the drive (Cardwell lookout, Attie Creek, Dead Horse Creek and Spa Pool), which all have their own unique characteristics. Make sure you allow enough time to visit them all.
Five Mile Creek is another feature of Cardwell State Forest and a favourite waterhole for many to cool off at. There is a large day-use area with picnic tables, barbecues and toilet facilities.
Remember, the waterholes and creeks are seasonal and rely on rainfall. Most of the rain falls during the wet season which can start as early as December and continue through to April. At drier times of the year water flows may be minimal and can come to a complete stop.
- There are no rubbish bins on Cardwell Forest Drive, take all of your rubbish with you.
- Dogs are not permitted in the neighbouring National Parks, this includes the section of Attie Creek. In all other areas, dogs must be under control and on a leash at all times.
- Fires are not permitted within Cardwell State Forest. Wood fire barbeques can be found at the Five Mile Creek day-use area.
- Do not chase, scare or feed wildlife.
- Everything in the park is protected. Please leave everything as you found it.
See the guidelines on caring for parks for more information about protecting our environment and heritage in parks.
There are no toilet facilities along the Cardwell Forest Drive. Public toilets can be found in the Cardwell Township or at Five Mile Creek day-use area.
The Cardwell State Forest is managed by DES with the aid of Girringun Aboriginal Corporation and HQ Plantations.
Rainforest and Reef Information Centre
142 Victoria Street, Cardwell QLD 4849
ph (07) 4066 8601
Managed by Great Green Way Tourism Incorporated.
For tourism information for all regions in Queensland see the Queensland Holidays website.
- Safety advice: Cardwell Spa Pool, Cardwell Forest Drive, Cardwell State Forest 11 August to 23 December 2021