Visiting Canyon Resources Reserve safely
Travelling from Georgetown
Canyon Resources Reserve is located about 45km south east of Georgetown, Queensland. Please note that all tracks in the reserve are unsealed and only suited to four wheel drive.
From Georgetown, travel south on the Forsayth Road for 40km to the outskirts of Forsayth. At Forsayth, turn left and take the Einasleigh Forsayth Road for 32km to the boundary of Canyon Resources Reserve. Continue along this road for another 7km to the turn off to camping area turn off on the left. Follow this for 6km to Wúndu camping area.
Travelling from Einasleigh
From Einasleigh, take the Einasleigh Forsayth Road for 18km to reach the boundary of Canyon Resources Reserve. Continue along this road for another 12km to the camping area turn off on the right. Follow this for 6km to Wúndu camping area.
Four wheel drive vehicles and trailers are recommended within Canyon Resources Reserve.
- This is a remote area. It is important to plan trips carefully and be prepared for emergencies.
- Mobile reception is unreliable and help may be a long way away.
- Carry at least one form of communication equipment. Satellite phones and Personal Location Beacons (PLBs) are the best options for this area.
- In an emergency, if you have UHF radio, use the Etheridge Shire Channel 6 repeater.
- Carry enough food and a good first-aid kit and know how to use it.
- Carry enough extra fuel, in case of unexpected delays, and basic vehicle repair and retrieval equipment in case your vehicle gets bogged or breaks down.
- Please stay on formed tracks, well back from cliff edges and supervise children.
- For more information, please read the guidelines on safety in parks and forests.
Essentials to bring
To enjoy your time in this reserve remember to bring:
- drinking water, sufficient for your stay
- gas or fuel stove for cooking
- a first aid kit
- food storage containers
- sunscreen, a hat and sunglasses
- insect repellent
- garbage bags.
Canyon Resources Reserve is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The reserve is closed during the wet season, from 1 November to 31 March inclusive, when it is inaccessible.
Permits and fees
Camping permits are required and fees apply. A camping tag with your booking number must be displayed at your camp site.
- Find out more about camping at Canyon Resources Reserve
Domestic animals are not permitted in Canyon Resources Reserve.
Climate and weather
In summer, daytime temperatures can exceed 35ºC. The cooler months of the year—May to August—are the best times to visit. Night time temperatures can drop below 6ºC and frosts can occur during this time. Most rain falls in the summer months—December to March—and there is little rainfall in winter. Weather forecasts are available from the Bureau of Meteorology. For more information see the tourism information links.
Fuel and supplies
Fuel and supplies are available at Georgetown and Forsayth. Cobbold Gorge Village has no fuel, but can supply some ice and offer minor mechanical repairs, if the mechanic is in town. For more information, see the tourism information links.