Red Rock (tent site) camping area
Red Rock camping area is an open grassy area surrounded by pine forest plantation.
- Conventional vehicle
Camping area facilities
- Campfires allowed (conditions apply)
- Generators allowed (conditions apply)
- Picnic tables
- Toilets (non-flush)
- Wheelchair access (may require assistance)
- Tent camping
- Tent camping beside car
- Dogs permitted (on leash)
Features: open grassy areas surrounded by pine forest plantation.
Location: 1km along the turn-off signed on Byfield Road, just before the Byfield Forestry office.
Access: the camping area can be reached by conventional vehicle. It is accessible for trailers, caravans and small motorhomes. Read about driving access.
Map: Red Rock map
Number of sites: 10 vehicle camp sites and five walk-in tent camp sites. Camp sites are not numbered.
Camp sites are suitable for: vehicle-based camping, small caravans, camper trailers or small motorhomes (to the right on the camping area access road) and walk-in tent camping (to the left on the camping area access road).
Camp site surface: grass/dirt.
Facilities: all camp sites have a fireplace and table. Wheelchair-accessible camp sites are available closest to the toilets. Water must be treated before drinking.
Open fires: allowed (except when fire bans apply) only in fireplaces provided. Bring your own clean, milled timber. Fuel stoves are recommended.
Pets: domestic dogs are only permitted at Red Rock camping area and must be kept on a leash and under control at all times.
Please note: Pets are not permitted at Upper Stony or Water Park Creek camping and day use areas.
Generators: allowed. Generators may be operated only between 8am and 7pm providing they have a sound rating of 65 decibels (2.0Kva) or less.
Essentials to bring: insect repellent, sun protection and sturdy rubbish bags. Read more about before you visit.
Bookings: book online or learn about our camping booking options. Red Rock is particularly popular during school holidays. Book your camping permit well in advance, and please note that sites are occupied on a first-in, first-choice basis.
Mobile phone coverage: unreliable.
- Temporary closure of Byfield National Park and Byfield Conservation Park for pest animal management activities 12–23 March 2023
- Temporary closure of camping areas within Byfield National Park and Byfield Conservation Park 1–31 March 2023
- Long term closure of walking tracks in Upper Stony Creek area 11 November 2021 to 8 November 2023
- Drive with care due to road hazards 13 January to 31 March 2023