Visiting Brampton Islands safely
Brampton Islands National Park is 32km north of Mackay. You can access both Brampton and Carlisle islands by private boat.
Although Brampton Islands National Park provides the opportunity to encounter diverse wildlife, it can also present some hidden dangers. Follow the tips below for a safe and enjoyable visit.
- Supervise children carefully on all walks.
- Carry plenty of drinking water.
- Wear sturdy footwear, protective clothing and a hat.
- Apply sunscreen and insect repellent.
For more information, please read the guidelines on safety in parks and forests.
Our precious Great Barrier Reef World Heritage islands are among the most pest-free islands in the world. They need your help to stay this way. Please Be pest-free! before your visit.
Essentials to bring
Preparation is the key to a safe and enjoyable visit. Make sure you bring:
- drinking water, rubbish bags and fuel stoves for cooking
- a comprehensive first-aid kit
- protective clothing, sunscreen, hat and sunglasses to protect yourself from the sun
- suitable shoes for walking on rough surfaces; and
- insect repellent.
Brampton Islands National Park is open 24 hours a day, all year round.
Permits and fees
Commercial photography permits may be required if you intend to sell any photographs taken within the national park. Organised event permits may also required for organised group activities that may interfere with general public use. Contact us for further information.
Leave dogs, cats and other animals at home. Domestic animals are not permitted in national parks.
Dogs are not permitted on beaches and intertidal areas within the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park and adjacent to an island national park, or areas prohbited under a regulatory notice.
Climate and weather
Brampton Island National Park has a tropical climate with daytime temperatures between 28°C and 35°C in summer and 20°C to 27°C in winter. Beware of cyclones during warmer months.
Fuel and supplies
There are no supplies available in Brampton Islands National Park. The nearest supplies and fuel are in Mackay.
- There are currently no park alerts for this park.