Barratta Creek camping area, Bowling Green Bay
Camp close to a mangrove and creek environment in your camper trailer or tent beside your four-wheel-drive vehicle.
- High clearance 4WD
Camping area facilities
- Campfires allowed (conditions apply)
- Tent camping
- Camper trailer camping
- Tent camping beside car
Nestled in a mangrove and creek environment, setup a camper trailer or tent at Barratta Creek. Try your hand at fishing or grab the binoculars and stroll the unsealed roads for a spot of bird watching. Remember to bring insect repellent.
Estuarine crocodiles inhabit this section of the national park. Always be croc-wise in croc country.
Access: by four-wheel-drive vehicle only via unsealed roads leading towards the creek off Jerona Road in the national park.
Number of sites: 7 separate but unnumbered camp sites.
Camp sites are suitable for: camper trailers and tent camping beside your four-wheel-drive vehicle. Important information: Know the tide times. Camp sites are susceptible to tidal influences, especially at high tides.
Camp fires: permitted. Must be in above ground fire containers only (except when fire bans apply). Bring your own fire container and clean firewood. Extinguish your camp fire with water and remove your fire container when you leave. It is recommended to use a fuel or gas stove.
Generators: not permitted.
Essentials to bring: drinking water, rubbish bags, a fuel or gas stove and insect repellent. Read more about before you visit.
Bookings: book online or learn about our camping booking options.
Mobile phone coverage: poor.
Getting there and getting around
Barratta Creek camping area is located near the township of Jerona.
- From the Bruce Highway turn on to the Jerona Road.
- The first kilometre of road is bitumen. The remainder is mostly unsealed and susceptible to washouts.
- The national park is 9km along this road and extends 6km until you reach the township of Jerona.
- Campsites are located along Barratta Creek, which is off to the right-hand side of Jerona Road.
- Remember to check the weather forecast, the unsealed roads in the camping area become boggy and inaccessible after rain.
Wheelchair facilities area not provided.
Before you visit
Barratta Creek camping area is open 24 hours a day.
Access to Barratta Creek camping area may be closed at times due to localised flooding, extreme weather conditions or park management activities.
Upcoming camping area availability
For more safety information see Visiting Bowling Green Bay safely and camp with care.
- Cape Cleveland section of Bowling Green Bay National Park aerial burning 30 March to 30 June 2023
- Townsville Scenic Rim and Bowling Green Bay National Park aerial burning program 10 March to 30 June 2023