Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Visiting Blackwood safely
Blackwood National Park is on the Gregory Developmental Road (Great Inland Way), 15km north of Belyando Crossing and 180km south of Charters Towers. Contact the Department of Transport and Main Roads to find out about local road conditions. Vehicles are not permitted beyond the car park.
Blackwood National Park has no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
- Carry adequate drinking water. Treat all water before drinking.
- Protect yourself from the sun. Wear sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses and a long-sleeved shirt, even on cloudy days and try to walk in the cooler parts of the day.
- Wear insect repellent, clothing and sturdy footwear to protect yourself from stings, scratches and bites.
- Stay well clear of wild dogs.
- Wear appropriate safety gear, carry a first-aid kit and be realistic about your cycling abilities.
- When cycling, slow down or stop when approaching other track users.
- Avoid skidding and sliding around turns.
Read the guidelines on safety in parks and forests for more information.
Blackwood National Park is generally accessible all year round although may be closed during parts of the wet season. Contact the Department of Transport and Main Roads to find out about local road conditions and the Bureau of Meteorology for weather reports and forecasts.
Permits and fees
Permits are required for commercial or organised group activities. Contact us for further information.
Domestic animals are not permitted in Blackwood National Park.
Climate and weather
Days can be very hot between October and March, reaching an average temperature of 31 to 35ºC and, at times, exceeding 40ºC. Wet periods occur during this time and can often make access difficult to impossible. Visit in the cooler months, from April to September, when daily temperatures average a more pleasant 27ºC. Weather forecasts are available from the Bureau of Meteorology.
For more information see the tourism information links.
Fuel and supplies
Fuel and basic supplies are available at the roadhouse at Belyando Crossing, 15km south of the park. Charters Towers (180km north) has a wider range of supplies For more information see the tourism information links.
- There are currently no park alerts for this park.