Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Expired Shark incident North West Island, Capricornia Cays National Park
Applies: 4 November 2019 to 6 July 2020
Published: 4 November 2019
Updated: 9 January 2020
This alert applies to the following parks:
Due to a shark attack on North West Island on 8 January 2020, visitors are urged to be SharkSmart:
- Don't swim at dawn or dusk.
- Always swim in clear water (not in murky water, busy anchorages, estuary mouths or canals).
- Don't throw food scraps or fish waste overboard or into the water from the beach (including in anchorages or where people are swimming).
- Don't swim where fish are being cleaned.
- Swim, surf, snorkel or dive with a buddy.
For more information go to https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/sharksmart.
In an emergency situation, call 000.
For the latest information on fires in your area please contact QFES.
- 13 19 40