Vehicle access permit changes on Minjerribah (North Stradbroke Island)

From 1 November 2019

Minjerribah is a place of incredible cultural and natural significance in south east Queensland.

The Minjerribah Recreation Area supports nature-based activities and helps protect the environment through a partnership between the Queensland Government and the Quandamooka People.

The Recreation Area covers holiday parks, camping areas and beaches that allow four-wheel driving.

Camping and vehicle access permits help support the ongoing management of the recreation area which includes maintaining and improving the camping areas, vehicle and walking tracks, toilets, signs and more.

For people who would like to use their four-wheel drive motor vehicle on Flinders and Main Beach, there will be a new vehicle access permit option and fee change starting on 1 November 2019.

This provides greater flexibility for people depending on their frequency of use.

Minjerribah vehicle access permit fees will now be more consistent with other recreation areas in south east Queensland such as Bribie and Moreton Islands.

Vehicle access permits from 1 November 2019

  • Up to one month ($52.75 per vehicle)
  • More than one month (up to 1 year) ($158.00 per vehicle).

Bookings for vehicle access permits are still available from Minjerribah Camping or calling (07) 3409 9668.

Please see factsheet (PDF, 1.6MB)  or frequently asked questions below for more information.

Frequently asked questions

Why have the permits changed?

The permits were changed to support ongoing management of the Minjerribah Recreation Area by the Quandamooka People, Minjerribah’s traditional owners and custodians.

There has been an increase of more than 1000 new permits in the past two years for Minjerribah and fees help with maintaining and improving facilities.

How is the money generated from vehicle access permits used?

Vehicle access permit fees assist with the cost of management and use of the Minjerribah Recreation Area. Use of the funds to support management of the recreation area is a requirement of the Recreation Areas Management Act 2006. Permit fees help with costs associated with things like waste and pest management, general repairs and maintenance to campsites, toilets, vehicle access tracks, signs, fences and walking tracks, and overall amenity, as well as undertaking compliance.

What are the fees for other Recreation Areas?

The vehicle access permit fee for the Moreton Island Recreation Area for one month is $52.75, and $265.30 for a year. For the Bribie Island Recreation Area, it is $50.60 for one week, and $158.00 for a year.

It is still more affordable to go four-wheel driving on Minjerribah than most other islands.

Are there any other changes?

There is no change to the existing requirement that a person requires a vehicle access permit to use their vehicle in the Minjerribah Recreation Area. However, visitors now have the choice of buying a monthly or annual permit.

Camping and vehicle access permits for the Minjerribah Recreation Area can continue to be obtained from Minjerribah Camping by phoning (07) 3409 9668 or visiting the Minjerribah Camping website.

Where is the Minjerribah Recreation Area?

The Minjerribah Recreation Area covers camping areas and the beach at Main Beach and Flinders Beach. These beaches allow four-wheel driving provided you have a vehicle access permit. A map is available at Minjerribah Recreation Area.

What are recreation areas?

Recreation areas support nature-based recreation opportunities such as camping and four-wheel driving, while helping to maintain the conservation values of the area. In south east Queensland recreation areas are established on Fraser Island (K’gari), Moreton Island, Bribie Island, Inskip Peninsula, Cooloola and Minjerribah (North Stradbroke Island).

Who manages the Minjerribah Recreation Area?

The Quandamooka Yoolooburrabee Aboriginal Corporation (QYAC), through Minjerribah Camping Pty Ltd, manage the Minjerribah Recreation Area. This includes managing camping areas, day-use areas, and issuing permits. The Quandamooka People are the traditional owners of Minjerribah.

The Department of Environment and Science has a service level agreement with QYAC supporting their management of the Minjerribah Recreation Area.